12 year old getting it done

MHWH

12 year old getting it done

Post by MHWH » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:11 pm

I went out yesterday morning with Oakley, my 12 y/o male black Lab. We hunted public land that gets hammered, so I don’t expect much when we go there. It is close, and I could only be out a couple of hours.

Oak seemed maybe a little slower this summer as I ran him to keep him in shape. It was 34 degrees and overcast. You would have never guessed he is now 12, he was hunting hard and getting into heavy stuff when I asked.

He flushed a bird at about one hour, I hit the rooster with both shots. He worked and worked in thick stuff but found that bird for me. Then while heading back he works scent, then comes off several times over about 150 yards and finally puts up another rooster that I dropped in the lake with one shot. He did not see it, he was in the cover’ I call him to me on the edge of the lake. When I get him to sit facing the water he sees the bird, I send him on the 25 yard water retrieve to hand.

I am so proud of my buddy. I take little credit for his ability. I feed him well and keep him in shape year round, but it is mostly good genetics. Love that Oak.

marysburg

Re: 12 year old getting it done

Post by marysburg » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:50 pm

There is NOTHING like hunting with an old road warrior. We have a 12 year old Britt who likely is in her last season in the field. We give her short hunts on easy cover and although her stamina is not what is once was, she makes up for it in efficiency and smart use of wind and cover. Her last outing on a running pheasant was a masterful tutorial on how to get the job done. She gets to do what she loves, and we get to go along for the ride. Pure pleasure.

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:15 am

Bless those old dogs, the body is older but hey still have that hear and special spirit. Treasure ye time with them. 👍

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:17 am

My Hanna is an 11 yo GSP that still hunts like the Everready Bunny. When she gets home she eats and then crashes on the couch, unless there is food around. If I get ready to go again the next day with one of the other dogs she stands in front of the door and does the "I'm ready to go again" dance.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:34 pm

Tip of the Cap to Oakley and all the old dogs still giving their best in the field. Old Hunters too :). Hope you took some photos.

This was the last hunt for my Jack who was 13 years old in the photo. Hard of hearing, eyes cloudy, hips weaken, nose still as keen as ever and his indomitable Spirt compelling him to find and point more roosters in the tall rank heavy cover and high winds.

A limit of wild roosters taken on the last day of season in January on hard hunted public land. Check out the tail on that rooster! The old dog hunted up limits of public land roosters three times that last week of season, Jack and I hunting alone. It goes too fast.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:07 pm

Really fine posts here. My 14 year old setter suffers big time from arthritic hips/knees. She's on an anti-inflammatory and pain meds. For me now, the question is "Do I still take to run in the bush/woods?" She definitely still wants to go and makes a big scene if she thinks she is going to be left behind. However, I know she'll suffer when she gets home.
Do I take her or leave her?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

smilinicon

Post by smilinicon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:19 am

"Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine". Tom T. Hall

Loved reading these posts. I miss my Old Girl.

Cary