Update on pup

northwoodshunter

Update on pup

Post by northwoodshunter » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:27 pm

The pup is now 10 months old, pushing about 65ish lbs. had our annual ND hunting trip on the weekend of the 18th. Bird numbers were down especially where we were. Only got 10 the first day(7hunters) and we only hunted the morning Sunday then left due to bad weather and didn’t get a bird. Both my dogs the GSP pup and 4y/o setter did good. Better than expected, as I thought the shorthair would chase him around but He figures it out right away. The shorthairs first point on a wild pheasant was right outside of shallow cattails and the setter backed him. Rooster got shot. He ran 16.5 miles at 8mph in one day as he got a deep cut from barb wire and didn’t hunt Sunday and got stitches Monday and laid up for 10 days, then ripped stitches and got 3 staples. The setter had around 8 finds and the gsp about 6 on the weekend though. The GSP also had his first grouse point a couple weekends before then a few bumped grouse the weekend after that. Setter is still consistent on all birds so far. This last weekend a family from my hometown that my family is close with asked me to take my dogs to find birds in their annual pheasant release hunt. The GSP was able to go as the staples healed the cut enough to go. He pointed 6 birds, bumped one with no point, and one was running and he pressured a little much when relocating off of original point. But I was happy with how he did. He also made 4 retrieves out of 6 downed birds, and one retrieve was on a thinly froze over pond that he didn’t know what to do about and we were gonna leave the bird then when we split up to keep going he went out and brought it back to me. Happy with how he is doing this season so far, but I know either I or his trainer will be force fetching him after this season as the birds he doesn’t retrieve he goes to and sniffs and just stays around there or starts pulling feathers. Anything I should do to help stop this some before he does it more, or just let him until I get to the bird since he is retrieving a majority at this time? Also if anyone knows of any trainers around grand forks/Fargo/north west MN, I would be interested in contacting a trainer around here for possibly starting force fetch where I go and they help me do it as I’ll still be in school right when season is over, if I choose to not take him to his normal trainer for it.

northwoodshunter

Re: Update on pup

Post by northwoodshunter » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:15 am

8B0634E0-F1A9-43B3-B2F7-FE3FA50ED614.jpeg
C9F5B05F-999D-4014-9111-91C9699CA54F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:34 pm

You've come a long ways young man. :) Congrats.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:45 pm

I would not be comfortable with a dog standing over a bird and pulling feathers for any period of time. Left unaddressed that behavior will escalate. At the foundation of a good retrieve is a great recall. You should recall your dog vs letting it stand over the bird pulling feathers. If the dog does not come then work on recall until it will come every time regardless of what it is doing. If the dog comes but leaves the bird you will need to decide whether you take a break and do some Hold training now or after the season is over. There is a thread that addresses that issue in the Training section of this board now with several good responses.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Try Jeff Jalbert. He is in N.Dak. A senior navhda judge. Has a fb page.

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:31 pm

Sharon- thank you, it’s beena lot of fun with these two.

Averageguy- I figured I shouldn’t let him do it now or he’d think it’s okay. He’s only done that 2-3 times when he pulls feathers, and I’d say no and go get it, but when he retrieves let him hold it for a few seconds while I praise and pet him when he does it right. I’ll try the recall thing next time that opportunity comes. Thanks for that suggestion. Would it be bad to try and do some hold work with him with dummies right note instead of after season then go to FF right after season, or should I just keep him from pulling feathers and do it all after season?

Weimdogman- I’m gonna try to get in contact with him. He’s only about an hour to an hour 15 away from me so that would work good. Thanks for the suggestion.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Yes, I would be working on Hold training now in your house, yard, on a training table. I used a piece of PVC. My dog was mouthing a paint roller is why. We went back to the paint roller once he was calmly holding the PVC. Then we went to cold birds, then hot birds. I mostly followed a program from Perfection Kennel on a DVD titled Perfect Retrieve. Taught Hold, modified it using PR Marker word praise and treats, and then overlayed an ecollar to re-enforce the trained command. I nurture my pups' natural retrieve from day one, then teach Hold. Recall also starts on day one. With a good recall and a good Hold I think it is easy to achieve a level of retrieve in most dogs that will thrill most hunters. I also do alot of development on the "Hunt Dead" command which is a critical skill in a bird dog in my view. I have FF'd prior dogs using an ear pinch but do not feel it is a necessary for all dogs particularly if they have been worked with alot as a puppy to develop good habits and avoid bad ones.

You could get your dog trained on Hold now through the week, also doing whatever work you need to get recall crisp and reliable and then introduce a cold bird into the equation in your yard or on a table. It may well go smoothly and quickly. Sounds like you do not have a problem here but it always best to avoid them. I think you would do best to invest the money in a DVD and follow it. It will give confidence and roadmap to get from where you are to where you want to be.