New guy from Idaho

H_D_O

New guy from Idaho

Post by H_D_O » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:11 pm

Big into big game hunting but duck season here is our "getaway". Ducks are our thing over here. Wish I could get into pheasant and other upland but never had the chance to.

I've got 2 labs. A soon to be 5 year old male. And a 3 year old female.

Unfortunately I messed up on my 100lb male when he was young. Contracted parvo so didn't take him out that year. Focused on him getting better. Got him to the point, if he see the bird he's fine and gunshots don't bother him. If he is surprised by the gunshot he's gone and I'm looking for his dopey self. So I've kinda just kept him at home.

My female has amazing drive and instinct. I've fallen back on training her the last year due to baseball during the summer I just retired from after 6 years. She's a very dominant female and overly possessive over "her" ducks and has lunged at my other Buddy's dog. I've tried to break her of that but no luck yet. Haven't taken her out this season yet. Will shortly.

As you can see I'm definitely not the greatest at training. But, you live and learn. And I still love the dogs.

Looking forward to learning some knowledge from you fellow hunters. And any and all advice is highly welcomed.

Also, I'm out of southeast idaho

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

smilinicon

Re: New guy from Idaho

Post by smilinicon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:40 am

Welcome H_D_O,

I re-discovered this site when I got my second pup and it has been helpful to me. I am currently in the "shut up and don't worry" stage with my new boy. There is much common sense info here, once you filter out the grouchiness. :)

I too, just enjoy it all and I consider you lucky to live where you do as opposed to Indiana, which is now nothing but sub divisions.

Best wishes,

Cary

H_D_O

Post by H_D_O » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:16 am

smilinicon wrote:Welcome H_D_O,

I re-discovered this site when I got my second pup and it has been helpful to me. I am currently in the "shut up and don't worry" stage with my new boy. There is much common sense info here, once you filter out the grouchiness. :)

I too, just enjoy it all and I consider you lucky to live where you do as opposed to Indiana, which is now nothing but sub divisions.

Best wishes,

Cary
Thank you! I'm extremely excited to see all the advice this group has to offer.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:52 am

Welcome H_D_O!! Nice to have you on board!
Well....I'd like to recommend your next dog be a trained one.
Or...perhaps you need to acquire some training videos/develop a clear plan before working with your dog(s)?
Or...perhaps you can befriend someone/join a local club that knows retrievers?
Or....you can proceed as you have been doing. The way I see it, you might have a decent dog after, oh....4/5 more dogs.
Otherwise, resolving the current individual issues in your dogs is not really addressing the underlying concern.
And the next "bleep" (Sort Of Biased) that calls me grouchy is going to get a kick in the bloody ___s, dang it!! :evil:
Merry Christmas y' all! :lol:
Last edited by Featherfinder on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:06 pm

H_D_O
Welcome to the group. Good to have another member in SE Idaho. I hunt both upland and waterfowl with our dogs. (Lab, Lab/GWP and GSP) The GSP is too thin coated for waterfowl. I've trained a few dogs for both upland and waterfowl pointers, flushers and retrievers. If you want to get together and work with our retrievers send me a PM.

H_D_O

Post by H_D_O » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:24 pm

fishvik wrote:H_D_O
Welcome to the group. Good to have another member in SE Idaho. I hunt both upland and waterfowl with our dogs. (Lab, Lab/GWP and GSP) The GSP is too thin coated for waterfowl. I've trained a few dogs for both upland and waterfowl pointers, flushers and retrievers. If you want to get together and work with our retrievers send me a PM.
Will definitely take you up on that!