A Toast to Max

Max2

A Toast to Max

Post by Max2 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:36 pm

I bounce back and forth between this site and another site. What can I say I just love to follow these four legged athletes . As I signed out on the other site I read a post by someone who had just finished the last hunt of the year. With the post was a picture of their dog.

Got me to thinking it has been two yrs since I last hunted behind my own dog and I sure miss the little guy. I wish I would have taken a picture that last hunt. I have an image of a soaking wet GSP popping out of a hedge row and looking my direction as if to say where are you going as I was calling him in. "There's birds in here ! " When I could see his enthusiasm I caved and said " OK" back in the game I went. We proceeded to put up a couple more woodcock. Last day of the season cold wet 40 degrees but no complaints from Max. We hunted that whole day bouncing from cover to covers. Our house was about to become deer camp and our guests would soon arrive. Max loved people and I bet in his mind could not wait for everyone to arrive .

When we got home I could hear Max standing in his crate and shaking off. I opened the door and he came to the tailgate of the truck and looked over. I suspected he may have been a little stiff and latched onto him and placed him on the ground. In short time we were in the house and he was curled up by the woodstove awaiting our guests.

Max would be gone the following February . We got along he & I ~

Irishwhistler

Re: A Toast to Max

Post by Irishwhistler » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:46 pm

Chris,
Lifting a glass to Max buddy. Slainte! Gone but never forgotten .

THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:09 am

Thank you Mike !
Folks take photo's of your dogs especially as they get older. When they are young the camera is usually out all the time.
As they age we may take them for granted. Not literally but we tend to say ~ " oh shoot I forgot the camera" for me right now it's all good as I have you folks to live through. So posts your stories to keep this dogless ole timer in dogs ! Add some pic's of your pup's to this post if you would like with a short or long for that matter post. Max would have liked that.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Max2 -

Seems to me that you have a pretty vivid recollection of that last hunt, and I'll bet... a whole bunch more.

Memories of our dogs doing what the did... are their ultimate gift to us. Those memories are ours...forever.

I can remember , a clearly as if it were yesterday, a point, a retrieve, or a scenario that happened half a century ago, or more. Dogs, places, people and times that are long gone, except for my memory. There they will live on., and give me a reason to smile, when I really need one.

So will yours.

I do however encourage you to go out and make some more.... There are never enough good memories.

Max would like that too. All the best.

RayG

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:51 pm

I hear ya Ray G , Nothing better then the times afield. For all of us who enjoy the mind clearing experience of the fall woods with our four legged counter part. Definite hope to get the feeling once again but for right now I'm in a tuff spot.

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:06 am

Max2 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:09 am
Thank you Mike !
Folks take photo's of your dogs especially as they get older. When they are young the camera is usually out all the time.
As they age we may take them for granted. Not literally but we tend to say ~ " oh shoot I forgot the camera" for me right now it's all good as I have you folks to live through. So posts your stories to keep this dogless ole timer in dogs ! Add some pic's of your pup's to this post if you would like with a short or long for that matter post. Max would have liked that.
Chris,

I'll lead off and hope that others follow. Me lads TRAD and MAC do our best to keep ye flooded with sporting dog photographs, no shortage on our part. I look forward to the day ye tell me ye have a new pup on reserve as I know that no dog on this planet would have a more dedicated owner than yeself Chris. I have really enjoyed communicating with ye o'er the years Mate, and only wish we had been brought together o'er a less sorrowful matter than the passing o' ye beloved pointer MAX, God rest him.

So here's one o' TRAD and MAC on the tailgate, always intent on giving me their best.
l5BMlLgPQxaj30WkNRG28A_thumb_a536_Fotor.jpg
TRAD and MAC

Wishing ye the best for Christmas and the New Year Chris. Here's to MAX Mate. 👍

THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:30 am

Thanks so much for the kind words Mike ! Truth be told if your posting I'm all in and look forward to seeing what great photo's and " tails" of two gundogs & others that you may be working with for that matter. Loved the last photo of two athletes ! Good stuff !

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:41 pm

Max2 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:30 am
Thanks so much for the kind words Mike ! Truth be told if your posting I'm all in and look forward to seeing what great photo's and " tails" of two gundogs & others that you may be working with for that matter. Loved the last photo of two athletes ! Good stuff !
Chris,
Thank ye most kindly Mate.

Cheers,
Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸