Nick made his derby debut

bamanicksbd

Nick made his derby debut

Post by bamanicksbd » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:23 pm

Nick ran in the NBHA open derby on Friday and finished 2nd out of 8 dogs. He placed 3rd in the amateur derby on Saturday. Hunted and ran hard. Stayed out front for the most part. Had 2 finds each day with stylish points. Broke a little on the flush a cpl times but all around I was thrilled with his effort. Dr. Crook's beautiful pointer Mary took first and was very solid on her birds and ran beautifully. She also placed 2nd in the amateur derby on Saturday with Dr Crook's pointer Batt taking 1st.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bamanicksbd

Re: Nick made his derby debut

Post by bamanicksbd » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:31 pm

Pic didnt load sorryImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 pm

CONGRATES!! :D

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:15 am

Very nice ! Congratulations to the team !
Good stuff !

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:24 am

Congrats on the placements! You have one good-lookin' dog right there.

How did it go with the yelling and hollering?

bamanicksbd

Post by bamanicksbd » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:04 pm

The yelling and hollaring wasn’t bad at all. I’m starting to understand some of it. Not sure if I will ever incorporate it into my method of handling but I can see some advantage to some vocalizing to let my dog know where I am without having to stop and look or loop back to be sure I’m not lost.

I think actually seeing some things in action helped me to better understand. I’m still not sure why a handler would use something that sounds so close to whoa to maintain contact. The singing that comes out like a drawn out whoooaaaapp seems confusing to me but I’m learning as we go. Fortunately or not my Nick is hard headed enough to ignore most of what I or anyone else might be yelling once he gets into go mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:28 pm

I'm glad that you're figuring things out. It takes ground time; no amount of reading will make the whole thing clear.

About the singing...those sounds need to be ones that carry and that also can be "sung" rather than said.

How many times have you commanded "whoa" with a Whooooooooooaaap while you and the dog are out of sight of each other? If you need the dog to stop it's "Whoa!", right? Or maybe if you can see the dog and want to caution him you might do a softer "Whoooaa..." But I bet it's never the same as the singing one.

If it's worrisome, the thing to do is to train with words no other handler would use. Like "tea kettle!" for whoa, "driveway!" for come, and so on.

Anyway, great that you had fun with Nick and the experience was good overall :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Congrats to you! Great fun isn't it. I miss those days.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett