Looking for a good llewellin puppy need breeder advice

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Looking for a good llewellin puppy need breeder advice

Post by NEWYORKHILLBILLY » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:40 pm

I looking for a Llwellin puppy. looking for some breeder advice . I looking for a female that comes from close working foot hunting stock. Dog would mostly be run on grouse in NY and Minnesota . I had to put my 13 year old down back in September . She came from lynn hill breeding in PA.I was very happy with her. They are out of business now. I am sure there is some of there breeding still out there. anyone have any recommendation?

I contacted a few breeders and haven't really had much luck. The one i was most interested only had pups that are already 5 moths old. Being this pup will be in the house I think i be better to bring one home at 8 weeks so i can do my own socialization.

I found a big breeder that does not FDSB register there pups. They also seem to make a lot of wild claims on there website . I could not find much info on them besides there own web site.

There has to be some small breeders out there.

any info would help

NEhomer

Re: Looking for a good llewellin puppy need breeder advice

Post by NEhomer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:23 am

https://paintriverllewellins.com/

Kyle Warren is a dog guy through and through and I cannot recommend him highly enough. My setter Whip is by far the best dog I've ever owned.

He's whelping pups literally this morning and all of his dogs are FDSB registered as is my pup.

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Post by NEWYORKHILLBILLY » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:51 am

NEhomer wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:23 am

Kyle Warren is a dog guy through and through and I cannot recommend him highly enough. My setter Whip is by far the best dog I've ever owned.

He's whelping pups literally this morning and all of his dogs are FDSB registered as is my pup.
Thanks fro the info good to here some positive feedback from this breeder.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:25 pm

NEWYORKHILLBILLY wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:51 am
NEhomer wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:23 am

Thanks fro the info good to here some positive feedback from this breeder.
You're welcome and good luck. I heard that the pups he whelped this morning are all taken but he has regular litters. You won't be disappointed with Kyle.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:33 am

The more you can describe what you want, the better folks can help identify what lines match. How close is close working for you? My Gordon works way closer than my Llewellin but both are past 100 yards which seems far to some. How big a dog do you want, how important is high head and tail, need strong natural retrieve or plan to FF train, like lots of feathering or need a shorter coated dog, bird crazy prey drive or more laid back, etc. Need a puppy now or willing to get on list for next litter to get exactly what you want?

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Post by NEWYORKHILLBILLY » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:54 pm

ckfowler wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:33 am
The more you can describe what you want, the better folks can help identify what lines match. How close is close working for you? My Gordon works way closer than my Llewellin but both are past 100 yards which seems far to some. How big a dog do you want, how important is high head and tail, need strong natural retrieve or plan to FF train, like lots of feathering or need a shorter coated dog, bird crazy prey drive or more laid back, etc. Need a puppy now or willing to get on list for next litter to get exactly what you want?
I looking for female prefer it be ready to come home end of February ,But would consider to get on a list for the right breeding . Well I like a dog that adjust to the cover say out to 80 yards in heavy grouse cover and 150 in the open sharp tail cover. I like a dog that is laid back in the house,but throws the switch when put down to hunt. I like a dog under 50lbs . I attached a picture of Hanna ay a year old . we had put her down back in September 13years old (cancer). actually when i thing about it i want her back. I know thats not possible but would be happy with a dog with her natural ability. She had come form lynnhill breeding out of PA. her Sire was Garihs Blizzard Django and dam was Lynn hill shooting star

I not a breeding expert but being i was so pleased with here I been looking for a pup in the same line or close
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:50 am

Hanna was stunning!

...so is my Whip. He adjusts his range perfectly from the woods to the open fields and always checks in. A sweetheart in the house and heck in the field. His prey drive is silly and he spends much of his summer on point in the driveway over butterflies!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:43 am

Might contact Berg Brothers in Mn. Not sure if they breed Llewellens or not but they breed Grouse hunting Setters for sure...…...Cj

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Post by NEWYORKHILLBILLY » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:46 pm

NEhomer wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:50 am
Hanna was stunning!

...so is my Whip. He adjusts his range perfectly from the woods to the open fields and always checks in. A sweetheart in the house and heck in the field. His prey drive is silly and he spends much of his summer on point in the driveway over butterflies!
He looks very nice. talked to Kyle Warren all his 2020 breeding are sold out. I hope to find something to hunt this fall with I not getting any younger

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:10 pm

Well I'm pleased that you spoke with Kyle. Good luck in your search and be sure to post a pic of your new pup when you find it!

Again, your Hanna was beautiful. Have a great New Year.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:01 pm

150 yards in open country is a close working dog. (I turn Harper at 200 in the grouse woods). I do not find info on Shooting Star’s pedigree online. There is some Blizzard blood still being bred but not much of it is line close. Eric Jacobs posts that he continues these lines. No personal experience with his dogs but website is http://www.blizzardllewellins.com/

Goodboy

Post by Goodboy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:02 pm

ckfowler
The Willie Walker Pedigree database is upgraded just recently....it's addictive going back
Found Shooting Star
https://pedigree.englishsetters.at/deta ... ?id=517297

Lynnhill Shooting Star
Sire: Count Gladstone (a.k.a. Ugladstone) Wind'em d'Hurlain Prè
Dam: Bondhu Emmy Lou
Reg#: FDSB 1523764
Sex: female
Date of Birth: 24 APR 2001
Color: black and white

Tim Tufts

Post by Tim Tufts » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:35 am

If you go to this site https://members4.boardhost.com/coverdog ... 1612614779 there's a litter advertised that sounds like what you're looking for.
The pups are in MI.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:45 pm

Just an observation, but our last three dogs were end of litter pups aged 12 to 14 weeks. Absolutely a breeze to housebreak and work with them. I attribute that to the extra time with mom and family before going to their new home

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:03 pm

Newer research ( ASPCA) does say you should leave pups with Mom and siblings for at least 8-10 weeks. Puts an extra cost to the breeder though so is not often done.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:39 pm

Sharon wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:03 pm
Newer research ( ASPCA) does say you should leave pups with Mom and siblings for at least 8-10 weeks. Puts an extra cost to the breeder though so is not often done.
We have never let the pups go before 8 weeks. It would be nice to keep them till 10 even - one of the main things they learn in that few weeks is some socialization. No Bite is a big one that mom and the other pups tend to teach much better than a new puppy owner.