Normal for tracking collar? Pro 550 plus

Joe3232

Normal for tracking collar? Pro 550 plus

Post by Joe3232 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:20 pm

I have the Garmin Pro 550 +. I put an extended range antenae on it. Is it normal that at close distance (my dog within 30-40 yards) it is usually completely wrong? As in pointing wrong direction.

It does seem to pinpoint when the dog is under 20 ft and reflect correctly as "under 20 ft" but from 20ft to 40 yards its generally pointing in wrong direction. It then starts to work when dog gets further out but its slow to update on dog. Seems to lag. I updated software and calibrate often. Its only 2 months old. Thanks

birddogger2

Re: Normal for tracking collar? Pro 550 plus

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:39 pm

Joe- That does not sound right.

I would contact Garmin ASAP and talk to their tech support folks. They have been pretty good to deal with in my limited contacts with them.

FWIW...I had a 320 that didn't work right from the get go and I kinda let it sit because it was my "spare". Now it is unrepairable junk along with the collars that won't work with the 430. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Find out if it is a problem, and if it is...the Garmin folks will take care of it under warranty.

RayG

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:59 pm

No it sounds like your unit is not functioning properly. My 550+ correctly points the direction to the dog at all distances beyond 20 feet.

I am not sure however if what you are experiencing is simply delay which is unavoidable as signals must go up and down to a satellite. Delay coupled with a fast moving dog changing directions is going to have some instances of momentary differences between the direction the dog is traveling and the transmitter indicating where the dog was a couple of seconds prior, until it receives an update.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:50 pm

averageguy wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:59 pm
No it sounds like your unit is not functioning properly. My 550+ correctly points the direction to the dog at all distances beyond 20 feet.

I am not sure however if what you are experiencing is simply delay which is unavoidable as signals must go up and down to a satellite. Delay coupled with a fast moving dog changing directions is going to have some instances of momentary differences between the direction the dog is traveling and the transmitter indicating where the dog was a couple of seconds prior, until it receives an update.
Do you have to calibrate the compass in the 550+ AG?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:24 am

I don't have your particular model, but my garmin goes a little wonky from time to time.

What helps - recalibrate the compass whether it looks like it needs it or not; "start a new hunt" ( no idea if yours has that feature, but it eliminates previous data); and check the update speed ( longer update time saves battery but gives you more lag in reading dog's movements).

IDK if it makes a difference, but my unit has settings for 3 different types of batteries and I'm careful about that being correct.

I've not had to, but an option is to erase a collar, the re-add to the receiver. That's similar to rebooting I think.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:21 am

I think averageguy is right about signal lapse time, in a short distance a fast dog can be opposite direction in a few seconds.
Shags... the 550 plus is a simple tracking and training collar. One window for tracking... not all the other data like maps and ect. Batteries are rechargeable. 3 dog collars can only be used and are selected using a toggle switch. I don't think update time can be changed... I'm not sure of this though.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:32 am

LOL yep my garmin is way too complicated. I don't need to find caches, map my way to the Mall of America, or measure how many acres is the field behind the house. I just wanna find my dang dog! Why don't they make the units very simple -and cheaper - and provide the extra stuff for purchase via download?

I'm not gonna even start on how my new car is smarter than me, either :lol:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:24 pm

Garmin put in a deal about that when I gt my 320. They said it is normal to be off close in but improve's with range.Close in it sucks, always has but not a problem. Be sure to calibrate it regularly.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:14 pm

I never calibrate my 550 Plus and it just keeps on working. Accurately. Including Close.