New to the forum & the GSP breed

thp2472

New to the forum & the GSP breed

Post by thp2472 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:16 am

Joining in from Texas. New to the GSP breed. Have plans for advanced training when he’s a bit older. As of this date, he’s 10 1/2 weeks old and his name is Ruger. And man is he a pistol. Bout the only time you can get some petting in is when he’s asleep. Any other time he really likes to flat out chew on ya. I’ve read tips and watched some YouTube videos on helping with the issue with little or no success. And he does not like the word “NO” already. So with that being said, seeking some advice from those willing to offer em up. Thanks

mnaj_springer

Re: New to the forum & the GSP breed

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:37 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Dogs really shouldn't like the word "No." That's kind of the point! :mrgreen:

But what did with my pups is pinch that lower jaw/tongue and give it a gentle wiggle when they would nibble and say "No Bite." It wasn't enough to hurt them but they did not like the feeling of me controlling their jaw.

Seemed to do the trick for me.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:43 am

Think Calm and quiet. Reward calmness with attention and calmness. Ignore silliness as much as possible. Punish biting, whether play or aggression, Swiftly, harshly and over.
Make sure he is getting enough exercise...Cj

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:33 pm

I have a Brit about the same age so I feel for you. I basically think of it as a mouth that happens to have a puppy attached. I don’t like the idea of sticking my fingers down his throat until he gags or holding his mouth closed or anything like that because I don’t want him to associate my touch with discomfort or unpleasantness. I just constantly misdirect with “approved chew toys.” His zone (formerly known as the kitchen) looks like a boneyard. Bully sticks, tracheas and bladder tendons are favorites after that is ropes and fuzzy squeaky things.

Remember his mouth is super painful right now and it’s how he interacts with the world. It’ll pass with age.

I agree with the general philosophy that spazzing and jumping etc. get you no response while calm gets you everything. We don’t pet or give treats unless he has all four feet on the floor and if he’s picked up we don’t put him down until he is calm and still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk