Starting search for next Vdog

isuhunter

Starting search for next Vdog

Post by isuhunter » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:11 pm

My GSP is now 9 years old and we are thinking its time to start the search for another hunting partner and family companion.

We really love the drive of the GSP in the field but man oh man have I seen some beautiful bearded dogs. Looking for a pup that would be great with the family and ready to turn it on in the field. We hunt upland pheasants and field hunt ducks and geese mainly in Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, and South Dakota. The pudelpointers have really intrigued me. I'd like to get into NAVDHA and plan to go to the next Iowa meeting in Searsboro.

Suggestions on breeds and specific breeders to look at outside of the GSP?

If we go the GSP route again - what breeders should we look at, Sharpshooter?

averageguy

Re: Starting search for next Vdog

Post by averageguy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:06 am

You live in a stronghold for Sharpshooter GSPs. I saw litter announcement in your state a couple of minutes ago on FB with Sharpshooter lines on the Dam side from a highly qualified Breeder/Hunter/Judge. He is an officer in the NAVHDA chapter you mentioned and perhaps you already know him.

I landed on GWPs a long time ago. My current dog came from a Breeder who just received his 18th and 19th NAVHDA Breeder Award. Every dog on his 6 generation pedigree has been Health Tested, Hunt Tested and most importantly evaluated while hunting wild birds and waterfowl. The Breeder lives in Oregon, hunts forest grouse, prairie grouse, mountain quail, waterfowl on the snake river, but Chukars are his real passion.

My dog trained out easy, hunted in 6 states before he was year old, earned a Prize 1 UT at 17 months. Health clearances for Hips, Elbows and Thyroid.

He handled doves, waterfowl, prairie chickens, sharptails, ruffed grouse, sage grouse, huns, chukars, bobwhites in 3 states, pheasants in 4 states, a couple of whitetail blood track recoveries and some fur work this past season.

I saw a GWP litter announcement yesterday. The Dam was sired by the same sire as my dog and her Dam is a littermate sister to my dogs Dam. So nearly identical genetics as my current dog, on the litter's Dam side. The sire of the litter is a VC titled dog from a long line of similar quality dogs, from a breeder well known and respected in the breed.

I have a GWP puppy coming anytime now from a Breeder in Montana from dogs who's credentials include Hunt Tests, Show Champion, FT titles and extensive hunting on western wild birds and waterfowl for generations, health clearances all around.

If any of this interests you, send me a PM with your phone number and we can visit further.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:29 am

Averageguy, you appear to be good with dogs, good with the gun, good with the camera too!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:31 pm

The subject of ugly dog's! Oh boy! I've seldom been attracted to ugly dog's but, one huge exception. I know GWP's make good dogs but seem's to me they are just ugly enough not to be cute at the same time. That's my own worthless though! But I've seem a couple WPG, Wirehair Pointing Griffons, they were to cute to ignore! In particular I was out training with a friend who invited another friend along with their 8wk old Griffon pup along. hands down the absolutely cutest pup I've ever seen! How in the world can they see where they are going with all that hair on their head? First WPG I saw the guy had contacted me for something, I forget what. He came by my son's to meet when I went to town and he brought that ugly b*stard with him. D*mn it was love at first sight! They are the only ugly animal's I've ever seen that just get cuter as they get uglier!

Now in defence of GWP's, I knew a guy years ago that had a GWP I was in love with. Guy's name was Larry Ransier he liver near Portland, Ore. Lot of white on the pup, cute as could be and super little bird dog. Wish I could remember the dog's name, that was long ago. I mention Larry's name just in case he might be on here. If ya are Larry, good for you! Loved that dog of your's.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:35 pm

I know where a top notch litter of GSPs are in Mississippi. The sire is a Top Gun bred male that titled out with his MH at only ~12 months of age. That's not a typo either!
The dam is a Stillwater bred female that's an AKC MH as well.
I can forward the contact info if interested. I believe he has 2 or 3 males at this time.

Good luck in your search!