Emergency Vet Trip

RatDog

Emergency Vet Trip

Post by RatDog » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:04 pm

Last night my wife was going to take out 4 mo old Brittany pup out to do his business before bed and said he was acting weird, kind of like he was drunk. She took him to the emergency vet. He threw up and was peeing a lot. They said seemed like he got into something. They gave him charcoal and kept him over night. She picked him up today and they said he’s fine. Seems to be acting normal. I am out of town for work so getting this all second hand. I just FaceTimed and dog looked/acted normal.

Most scary and frustrating is neither of us can think of what he would’ve “gotten into”. Our house is pretty well child proofed because we have little kids so not like there’s antifreeze and cleaning products lying around. Plants are up high where he can’t get at them. He’s only ever in our back yard and walked on this trail around our neighborhood.

Any ideas? Similar experiences? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Emergency Vet Trip

Post by shags » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:10 pm

Sorry, no idea what your pup might have got into, but We had a JRT that got into Golden Malrin and it caused a very long seizure ( over an hour) so I understand your distress.

Is there a possibility the pup was having some sort of seizure?

One thing my vet asks when dogs suddenly go off like that, is whether they might have ingested xylitol. It's an ingredient in sugarless gum and many human dental products, and can be deadly for dogs.

Glad to hear the pup is doing fine, here's hoping he continues.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:28 am

All the snow in our back yard melted recently so the only thing I can think of is there was a cigarette butt or roach in the snow that was on the ground after it melted and he found it. I guess really small amounts of either can have pretty strong effects on dogs, especially since he’s a little guy. Wife said she police called the yard for anything else.

Taking him to his normal vet with the paperwork from the 24 hour place today just as a precaution

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:58 pm

I saw a dog on the Dr Pol show that had eaten a roach. H e looked totally out of it - similar symptoms to what you described. People need to be aware . Won't find any in my back yard, but the neighbor(a seller) throws this and that over the fence. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:15 pm

Snow on the ground , I take it where you are location wise , at this time ,,is pretty cold ..Doh! silly me .
Must be warm in doors ?. You got gas heating , or wood burner ? or just plain electric (I doubt) .

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:29 pm

What are you talking about Sir? :) Gas heating and no snow on the ground. Do you know what a roach is?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:42 am

Glad to hear pup is doing well. I have no idea what your pup might've eaten. Xylitol is being used in more and more products including peanut butter, gum, and even toothpaste, it is really bad news for dogs.

from: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ ... ty-in-dogs
Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death in dogs.

Why is xylitol toxic to dogs?
In both humans and dogs, the level of blood sugar is controlled by the release of insulin from the pancreas. Xylitol does not stimulate the release of insulin from the pancreas in humans. However, when non-primate species like dogs eat something containing xylitol, the xylitol is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, resulting in a potent release of insulin from the pancreas. This rapid release of insulin causes a rapid and profound decrease in the level of blood sugar (hypoglycemia), an effect that occurs within 10-60 minutes of eating the xylitol. Untreated, this hypoglycemia can be life-threatening.

How much xylitol is poisonous to a dog?
The dose of xylitol that can cause hypoglycemia in the dog has been reported between 50 milligrams (mg) of xylitol per pound of body weight (100 mg per kg). The higher the dose ingested, the more the risk of liver failure. The most common source of xylitol poisoning that Pet Poison Helpline* gets calls about comes from sugar-free gum. Some brands of gum contain fairly small amounts of xylitol, and it would take up to 9 pieces of gum to result in severe hypoglycemia in a 45 pound (20 kg) dog, while 45 pieces would need to be ingested to result in liver failure. With other common brands of gum which contain 1 g/piece of gum, only 2 pieces would result in severe hypoglycemia, while 10 pieces can result in liver failure. As there is a large range of xylitol in each different brand and flavor of gum, it is important to identify whether a toxic amount has been ingested.

What are the symptoms of xylitol poisoning?
Symptoms of xylitol poisoning develop rapidly, usually within 15-30 minutes of consumption. Signs of hypoglycemia may include any or all of the following:

Vomiting
Weakness
Lack of coordination or difficulty walking or standing
Depression or lethargy
Tremors
Seizures
Coma
In severe cases, the dog may develop seizures or liver failure. Dogs that develop liver failure from xylitol poisoning often show signs of hypoglycemia.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:50 am

Thanks for the info. I’m pretty sure it was the devil’s lettuce, he had the reefer madness lol. I don’t partake because I have to wiz for my job but my wife and some friends have been known to burn one now and again. Talked to some other people who’ve had the same thing happen and they sounded like the same symptoms. I guess we’ll know for sure when he starts listening to a lot of Pink Floyd and moves into the basement.

Where in NE PA? I grew up spending a lot of time at my grandparents farm near Dallas. Kind of close to Wilkesbarre. I’m headed back in May to chase turkeys. Beautiful country up there!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:05 pm

RatDog wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:50 am
Thanks for the info. I’m pretty sure it was the devil’s lettuce, he had the reefer madness lol. I don’t partake because I have to wiz for my job but my wife and some friends have been known to burn one now and again. Talked to some other people who’ve had the same thing happen and they sounded like the same symptoms. I guess we’ll know for sure when he starts listening to a lot of Pink Floyd and moves into the basement.

Where in NE PA? I grew up spending a lot of time at my grandparents farm near Dallas. Kind of close to Wilkesbarre. I’m headed back in May to chase turkeys. Beautiful country up there!

LOL too funny! :)

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:34 am

Fellow deadhead here OP and years back I was trimming my buddy's plants with him when I looked over and saw my Britt chewing down a nice lil' nugget. Sure enough, she went for a loop...head shaking, lack of coordination. I knew what it was so I just cracked her a beer and put on some Allman Bros. Lol! Remember that skit on SNL with Jimmy Carter talking down the bad acid trip?

Glad your pup's ok and one bit of advice; my dog has to be currently and actively bleeding out for me to "$$$leave him overnight$$$" at the Vet's.

asc

Post by asc » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:17 am

stoners...

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:20 am

NEhomer wrote:Fellow deadhead here OP and years back I was trimming my buddy's plants with him when I looked over and saw my Britt chewing down a nice lil' nugget. Sure enough, she went for a loop...head shaking, lack of coordination. I knew what it was so I just cracked her a beer and put on some Allman Bros. Lol! Remember that skit on SNL with Jimmy Carter talking down the bad acid trip?

Glad your pup's ok and one bit of advice; my dog has to be currently and actively bleeding out for me to "$$$leave him overnight$$$" at the Vet's.
Yeah, set me back about $500 and they didn’t really do anything. I was out of town and my wife was being careful because she knows how important the dog is to me. Hindsight being 20/20 some water and a good nights sleep and he would’ve been fine.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:31 pm

Hindsight is always 20/20 :D

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:37 am

Sometimes 4/20 interferes with 20/20 :P

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:46 am

Changes the meaning dogs eating grass......Cj

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:19 pm

Sharon wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:29 pm
What are you talking about Sir? :) Gas heating and no snow on the ground. Do you know what a roach is?
I know what Snow is especially in slang , gas can be fuel or even coming out of a human being ,no snow would be a melt down for some ...A Roach usually is a bug in my place , often written with it's full name cockroach :wink:
Hope the rat clears up the yard ,so the pup has a clean space .

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:09 pm

cjhills wrote:Changes the meaning dogs eating grass......Cj
Remembering Up In Smoke when Cheech and Chong are smoking dog sh*t because the dog ate the stash Image

“It’s Maui Wowie mixed with some Labrador”

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:53 am

Keep her away from the birth control pills! Uh, the dog, not the wife. :wink: