Spay or Not to Spay

GnM

Spay or Not to Spay

Post by GnM » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:43 am

I am posing this question to see what others think and get some input. I have two EP, a male about 2 years old and a female about 5 months, and they both come from pretty good blood lines. I am trying to decide if I should spay the female as I am on the fence if I want to breed her. For the record I have never breed any dogs before and am not wanting to start breeding just to breed. For those of you that do or have breed, how much work is it when monitoring the bitches heat cycle etc. When you have a bitch in heat are you still able to hunt, without males around of course? The reason I am on the fence is what if after training etc, she turns out to be a fantastic dog.

My current Kennel is a dirt floor with cattle panel as fencing. I have laid down wire and placed crushed rock over the top. I laid the wire down to deter digging, from inside or outside. The fence is probably about 5' high, so I would assume I will need to cover the top of the kennel. Do you think that would be sufficient to keep dogs out? I only have one kennel and for the male thought about putting him on a runner vs. a kennel, which would not allow him to get to the female.

Also, how long does the heat cycle last and how many times a year does a bitch go into heat?

Any information will be greatly appreciated...

Dirk

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Spay or Not to Spay

Post by cjhills » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:44 pm

GnM;
It is not really difficult to keep the dogs apart. Normal cycles are twice a year and last about 3 weeks. If you have a concrete floor it is easy to tell when she is coming into season because she will bleed. There are earlier signs such as her Vulva will enlarge and her personality might change a little. She might be more aggressive to other dogs especially females. The first few days she will not be attractive to males and usually will not breed until about the ninth day. You can't count on that if you do not want to breed her because there are surprises. You have to be very careful For about to weeks because it is amazing how quick they can breed when the time is right.
A few other thoughts you will need health tests such as OFA. Eyes,heart and if there are breed related difficulties. Also a place to raise the pups and keep any you can't sell. Breeding is best left to breeders.
The other thing is ( this is where the argument starts) if you decide not to breed, you are far better off to spay at about year old. A little older is better but doing it before her first period pretty much eliminates mammary cancer. You also eliminate Pyometra(uterus infection) which is quite often fatal, Pregnancy issues and unwanted pregnancies. Almost all older breeding females have tumors a lot become Malignant
There is no real good research that shows not spaying to Be advantageous.
You should consult your vet on this. Be aware they are mostly pro neuter.
Yes, you can hunt if you know there are not males ,around but it is taking a chance
Sorry I got long on this but this is my case......Cj

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:04 pm

GnM ,
In addition to what has been advised.
I don't know what cattle fencing type you mention , but even with rocks a determined female just as much as a determined male will find a way through 2" mesh .
The decision part to spay' is yours not mine or anyone else. My experience in 40 years (against any vet born after 1990) is to let the bitch have her second cycle , that cycle varies from bitch/bitch ..it can be 6 month old , and up to 18 month old for the first cycle (the variants are too numerous to type) but as a rule of thumb ..If the mother cycles every 6 month ,then the Bitch puppy will do the same ...for the first year (in any new home) .
I have had numerous males and numerous females in a kennel set up ! ...Touch wood ..never had an ''Accident'' ! and never spayed a bitch.
Perhaps it was management ,or luck ?

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:11 pm

GnM-

I agree with cJ on waiting to spay your female, whether or not she turns out to be fantastic. I would say one year old...at a minimum... to allow the youngster to attain full growth. That is just my own opinion.

Five feet high is NOT high for a male that wants to breed, so a top is a must. There are dogs that are magicians about getting out of things and bolt snaps have been known to be opened by "accident". I have also seen litters that happened through chain link fencing. Not common...but it has happened.

As far as having a litter...make no mistake...it is a LOT of work and, unfortunately, pointers, even very well bred ones, do not usually command the kind of money it takes to break even for the one time breeder. You will have your hands full placing the pups in all likelihood.

RayG

GnM

Post by GnM » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:47 pm

Thanks guy's I appreciate the information as it is very helpful. I do plan on putting a top on the kennel as I know a persistent dog would be able to jump/climb over if he really wanted to. As I mentioned, I am not really looking into becoming a breeder. I think I would breed to get another dog out of these two, but it may be cheaper/easier to purchase another pup from a good breeder.

Selling the pups is what makes me a little nervous as well. The breeder I got my male from had a lot of dogs and I wondered how many of those were from pups he couldn't get rid of.

Here is another question, if you were going to spay/neuter a dog would you even bother registering them in FDSB?

GnM

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:36 pm

I register all of mine because I MAY compete with them and I get a 5 gen pedigree because I think it is cool to see where they came from.

But,honestly, if you are not going to compete with, test, or breed the dog then it makes little sense to register.

RayG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:05 pm

"I register all of mine because I MAY compete with them and I get a 5 gen pedigree because I think it is cool to see where they came from.But honestly, if you are not going to compete with, test, or breed the dog then it makes little sense to register."
quote birddogger2

It makes sense for you to register for health progeny results for future , if you are concerned with the breed and future people in your position right now .perhaps ? :wink:

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:40 pm

Unfortunately, there are more good dogs than there are good homes for them. If you are talking good hunting homes, fewer still. And there's not much call for Pointers as pets, though those who have them for that purpose when they make good ones.

Worth considering.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:35 pm

GnM wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:43 am
The reason I am on the fence is what if after training etc, she turns out to be a fantastic dog.
Dirk
It was this bit that got my ears up . Call me out as a Yearling on a still morning at 5am :lol: