Meet Axe

Max2

Re: Meet Axe

Post by Max2 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:09 pm

MNTonester wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:17 pm
mnaj_springer wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:06 pm
This thread is incredibly fun to scroll through!

Congrats on the fantastic pup!
My thoughts exactly! Nice progression with the pup and really makes me miss Irishwhistler (Mike). :|
Tonester I agree with you 100% about the Irishwhistler !
& Thank's for following Axe

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:52 am

For those who chase grouse in NY in winter here is Axe 5 minutes ago. Grouse points are hard to come by this time of year :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:54 am

Nice :D

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:16 am

Thank you Deseeker for the kind words !
Today is Axe’s 1 year anniversary ! How time flies ‘ yesterday he got his quills out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:28 am

Great shot. Did you take them out yourself?

Grant

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:01 pm

Cicada wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:28 am
Great shot. Did you take them out yourself?

Grant
I started to and probably got a half dozen and the little guy said no more. I thought of incorporating help and decided it just wasn't worth it . I didn't want to traumatize him. Right now we have a great relationship Axe & I and I want to keep it that way. A visit to our vet took care of the remainders. I plan on live trapping a porcupine and see how Axe react's . He was about 50 yrds ahead of me on a tote road and I did not see the initial encounter. When I heard him barking I knew something was up as he has never barked in the woods for no reason . I called Axe and saw him backing up to look at me while keeping his eyes trained on the hillside as if to say - check this thing out - No problem telling Axe to leave it and follow me -Thank goodness !

Today I was working on the same bench I was laying the quills I was able to pull on. I must of missed a little tiny piece when I cleaned-up . I found it today ! Darn it really stung when I pulled it from the center of my palm . Porcupines are a nuscience for sure. Bird dogs can live with them . They just have leave them alone. I hope Axe has learned to keep his distance in the future. The area's we live and hunt in are loaded with them. I have had two prior shorthairs in my life and both got into porky's and both were one & done . The last one Max would bay them but keep his distance. Jump around them at distance barking. Kind of comical but scary the first time I saw him do it.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:13 am

Never an easy task to handle on your own. I find if you get the dog on his back things go much easier. Also you can make a bridle out of a drilled out 2" dowel and a chunk of rope. It stops the dog from chewing up your hand and reduces the chance of the quills getting further down the mouth.

Grant

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:50 am

For those who enjoy following the little guy were looking to become a shed finder

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:32 pm

Oscar has yet to have a run in with a porkie, but he sure loves tangling with skunks :x

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:29 am

MNTonester wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:32 pm
Oscar has yet to have a run in with a porkie, but he sure loves tangling with skunks :x
Hopefully we don't meet a skunk but they are around. I remember my last shorthair Max caught one by the business end once. It was a young one all by itself and woods had been smell'n of skunk just prior to Max catching it so the smell though bad was not to the aweful level :lol: All I can add is - It's not easy doing what we love ..... :D

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:50 am

Haven’t checked in a while Axe is getting excited as the season nears . How fast they grow. Yesterday morning after a day of heavy rain this pic grabbed at me . Have a great season everyone !

Iowa_Dude

Post by Iowa_Dude » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:14 pm

Wow. Its amazing how fast pups grow. I enjoyed this thread, thanks.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:30 am

Iowa_Dude wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:14 pm
Wow. Its amazing how fast pups grow. I enjoyed this thread, thanks.
It really is amazing how fast they grow and thank's for following along. The only draw back to them growing fast is we to are growing fast. I wish I had my "young legs" for Axe . Not that he minds as he is happy to be with me no matter what we may be doing. He is a super little dog ! His first trip out this season he pointed 3 grouse & 2 w/c . Only out for a couple hrs. By NY standards that's pretty good. If you have ever watched cadyshack the scene in which the man was playing the game of his life in a lightning storm and how happy he was ~ That was me :D

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:09 pm

About time!
🙂

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:12 pm

Whole thread is a great read. Thanks you. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Max2

Post by Max2 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:34 am

Thank's most recently Greg & Sharon as well as anyone else who likes following Axe's journey in life :D He's quite a character ! I wish I was better at telling his story as well as with photo's. I guess what I am trying to say is I'm just Ole man Chris and he's just Axe and we do our part to harrass the local dwindling grouse population.

I have noticed an uptick in dog's and grouse hunters this season in my area though they rarely see us as we move on to other coverts to give all their space. It's all good ! I'm happy to see folks taking time to get their 4 legged companions out.

To give you folks a little insight into Axe's home life he's currently down on the couch sleep'n as I type this and sometimes he curls up by the woodstove. I run a tight ship here and don't take no "crap" from him....

Best to all and safe hunting with no injury's !

Tim Tufts

Post by Tim Tufts » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:04 am

Just took the time to follow this thread from start to finish. Thanks for letting us follow the story.
Great read and very uplifting in these the darkest days of winter.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:10 am

Thank's Tim T
and I'm glad I was able to brighten someone's day ! The good lord has blessed me with Axe and put smiles on my face more then once. Truth be told I find that these creatures can bring out the best in people. There are no dark days of winter where I live just a lotta grey :D Nothing better then hiking from the house and heading home at days end to see smoke coming out of the chimney. Take off the cold weather gear when you enter , pup smiles , shakes off and gives you the that was awesome look and curls by the woodstove.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:49 pm

Hey folks! Axe & I have been busy and taking time away from the internet. Figured I post a couple pic’s of Axe all growed up ! Couple months ago helping with the firewood & one a couple days ago pointing one of these funny little birds we see here in our yard !

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:56 pm

Someone here once told me how to load photo's from my phone however I had forgotten how to load them correctly so my apologies ! Hope everyone has been well ! We will be back in the fall !

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:52 pm

Axe looks good :D

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:11 pm

deseeker wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:52 pm
Axe looks good :D
Thank You ! and Axe Thank's you !

Max2

Post by Max2 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:04 am

Haven't post much lately but where does the time go ? Just giving Axe the spotlight ! Yesterday was Axe's birthday and I missed it ! My sister called and reminded me with a - wish Axe a happy birthday ! I am so pleased with this little guy. I will see if I can post a current photo a little later !
Hope this finds everyone well !