Puppy question

osunut

Puppy question

Post by osunut » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:10 pm

I have a friend that is having an accidental litter. A male and female from his last litter got together and now she is pregnant. Would there be any downside to getting a puppy that is inbred that close? Both parents have no health issues and there are no health issues in the lines. Any input is appreciated as I know zero about breeding. Thanks in advance.

mask

Re: Puppy question

Post by mask » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:21 pm

What breed? That kind of breeding is only acceptable if both individuals are perfect in every way and there are still risks involved. If there is the slightest question he may consider having the gyp aborted.

osunut

Post by osunut » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:35 pm

They are gsp.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:48 pm

There is no such thing as a bloodline with no health issues. No dog is perfect in every way. The only responsible thing to do is abort the litter. If I did not plan to breed the female I would have her spayed.......Cj

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:51 am

I am aware of several brother/sister breedings in pointers. These breedings were apparently deliberately done to cement and intensify the characteristics in the dogs. Since the two that come to mind resulted in producing champion progeny and in one case a Hall of Fame dog, I would say those breedings were successful.

cJ is however absolutely correct in his judgement that there are significant risks with this type of breeding and the results can be very unfortunate for one or more of the pups, or the entire litter.

Unless the owner of the dogs is willing to hold the litter until they are fully grown and do what is necessary if problems arise, I agree that the litter should be aborted.

RayG

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:55 am

A few other thoughts on this.
When breeders do a planned brother and sister breeding in order to intensify the characteristics they want, they also have to deal with intensifying what they don't want. It is a very high risk breeding and the breeders that do that are ruthless in their culling. It does produce dogs that experienced breeders want. It also produces dogs that are carrying genes that they don't want. Sometimes in the same dog. It may take a few generations to show up. By that time the issues are pretty wide spread in the breed if that dog becomes a popular breeding dog.
One of the good things about Pointers, is that there has not been a real large amount of amateur breeding of Pointers. Somewhat because they have not been real popular with the general public. The genetic issues in Pointers is fairly limited because of that an the need for big running dogs who need to be structurally sound.
Labs & GSP, on the other have have been bred by everybody who thinks they can make a buck. So genetic issues are much more common in these breeds Especially in some bloodlines. So this needs to be considered.
I guess if this litter was born and used as family hunting dogs with know breeding, it would not hurt in the long run. But there is a very good chance there will be some genetic issues you may have to make a difficult decision on. Your choice. I would not do it.........Cj

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:42 am

A friend gave me a puppy out of an accidental breeding, mother/son, and the pup was fine. In fact he was more than fine. I never heard of any of the littermates having problems related to the inbreeding. If the parents are healthy with no or very few known heritable problems, the puppies ought to be OK. On the other hand, if there is a problem with the parents that would interfere with the future health of the pup, like hip dysplasia or epilepsy or serious allergies, I'd pass. Do some googling about health problems in that breed. Some breeds have sort of unique problems.
Maybe some communication with a knowledgeable GSP breeder would help; they might recognize the lines in your friend's dogs' pedigrees and alert you to possible problems.

No one can guarantee anything about the outcomes of breedings, planned or accidental, but each is more or less likely for success or problems. It's a roll of the chromosomes.

osunut

Post by osunut » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks guys for all of the input.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:12 pm

If the breeding was accidental, the breeder wasn't breeding to intensify anything in particular. There wasn't any planning involved or any pedigree research done.

If the parent dogs are good workers with good temperament, and if the breeder has done any genetic screening, like hip X-rays or testing for genetic blood disease, you would probably be safe enough to take one of the pups.

If the pup turns out to be super and you want to breed on, go for a complete outcross and only after some serious health screening.