Vests

RatDog

Vests

Post by RatDog » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:20 pm

Can anyone offer recommendations for vests? My little dude has started getting his undercarriage a bit raw since pheasants opened and we've been in the thick stuff. I was looking at one called the Skidplate for that purpose but I am also wondering if anyone hunts their pointing dog with one of the waterfowl models for added warmth and if that works? Thanks!

MNTonester

Re: Vests

Post by MNTonester » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:48 pm

I use a Sylmar for Oscar and it is well made and functional

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:37 pm

funny ? vest story:

I had my Jack Russell and setter out in the fields. The JRT was in a vest ( body close to the ground). The setter has never seen him in a vest before. The setter picked the JRT up by the vest and took off. I was scared to death that I was going to find my JRT with broken legs. They were out of sight. About 15 minutes later the setter returned to me and dropped the JRT at my feet. He was unharmed. That was the end of vests in my life. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:06 pm

MNTonester wrote:I use a Sylmar for Oscar and it is well made and functional
Cool. I’ll check that one out. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:06 pm

Sharon wrote:funny ? vest story:

I had my Jack Russell and setter out in the fields. The JRT was in a vest ( body close to the ground). The setter has never seen him in a vest before. The setter picked the JRT up by the vest and took off. I was scared to death that I was going to find my JRT with broken legs. They were out of sight. About 15 minutes later the setter returned to me and dropped the JRT at my feet. He was unharmed. That was the end of vests in my life. :)
ImageImageImage

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:54 am

I have always found that vests cause more issues than they solve. Mostly burrs getting in inside of them .
The long sleeved one on the poodle looks like it might work.
I have hunted GSPS in all kinds of weather ( 15 below) burrs and briar with out much issues. .......Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:09 am

I have never run a vest on my dogs while hunting upland birds including subzero temperatures. So far they have all had coats which provided adequate protection against abrasion and weather. A hunting buddy ran a skid plate model on his GSP and it seemed to work ok. My dogs wear a neoprene vest while hunting waterfowl in cold temps/wind. The waterfowl vest would not hold up well to upland hunting and would overheat my dogs.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:18 am

I realize some dogs (GSPs, etc.) do not need a vest. But I also have a Brittany with a fine light coat. A vest sure helps protect the underside. It also aids in visibility. I've run vests on my Brittanys for many years. Only time I don't have it on is very warm days. I would highly recommend the Sylmar Body Guard Vest. Excellent quality and great people to work with. Here's link to there web site and the Body Guard Vest.

http://sylmardogwear.com/outdoors.htm

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:44 am

Thanks for the feed back guys. Sounds like those Sylmar vests are worth a try.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:41 pm

Vests are for hunters, not dogs! :lol: