GSP puppy owner

bayleymay27

GSP puppy owner

Post by bayleymay27 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:53 pm

Hey guys my name is Bayley and I just got my first GSP puppy, he’s 9 weeks old and his name is Ruger. I’ve been doing basic obedience training and he’s taken really well to it but I’m pretty inexperienced when it comes to retrieving training. I got him a bumper and I only take it out for him to play with during retrieving training. He likes to chase it down but then he just jumps on it and begins chewing it. I’m not sure what to do so if y’all could give me some pointers it would be much appreciated !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP puppy owner

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. You'll need 5 posts approved and then you can posts freely. If you ever need any help with your use of the forum, feel free to PM me.

(Your training concerns expressed here would get more help if posted in the "Training" thread.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:37 am

Hey Kid ! & Welcome !
I saw the GSP header and felt I must reply! Far from an expert I am ! Though there are some real knowledgable folks here about . Myself in a situation close to the one you mention I would let him play with it a bit (short time) and take it away. He's a puppy and he's looking at the bumper like it's his toy.

I hope by post'n this will get one of the more knowledgable folks to take notice and add.

Enjoy your new pup ! "Always" end sessions on a positive note . Our sometime frustration does not fit when working with these creatures ! JMHO !

bayleymay27

Post by bayleymay27 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:22 pm

Max2 wrote:Hey Kid ! & Welcome !
I saw the GSP header and felt I must reply! Far from an expert I am ! Though there are some real knowledgable folks here about . Myself in a situation close to the one you mention I would let him play with it a bit (short time) and take it away. He's a puppy and he's looking at the bumper like it's his toy.

I hope by post'n this will get one of the more knowledgable folks to take notice and add.

Enjoy your new pup ! "Always" end sessions on a positive note . Our sometime frustration does not fit when working with these creatures ! JMHO !
Thanks so much, I find my self getting frustrated and often end on a bad note i need to change that habit thank you !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:06 pm

Well said Max.
I've been working with dogs for 40 years( started with beagles then moved on to gundogs and JRTs.) The key is to enjoy every day.
Your pup is a baby Bayley. Right now just enjoy him.
You can start on the "come " command, but no pain/anger etc. Every time you say "come" , and he doesn't come you go and get him.....every time. No words, just get him. If you don't feel like getting up to get him, don't call him.

Other vital time should be spent on socialization:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... 20&bih=915

(I sat out side Canadian Tire Store in a chair and let pup greet all kinds of people - children, babies in strollers , people with a cane or wheelchair, males, females.)

Every dog is different , but around 6-8 months , this programme is excellent: https://www.gundogsupply.com/pestpefisetd1.html

I understand the urge to get more from a pup right away; I planned on a Champion at 12 months :lol: It doesn't happen.

Enjoy the journey. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:57 am

B-27
It's human nature to get frustrated when thing's don't go the way we might like them to. Remember dog's are not human . :D They are Dog-manity :D They have short attention spans so I have found all training is short & fun. They do know fun ! If you can make them believe that all the fun starts and ends with you -holy mackeral can you see thing's happen in the correct direction . Slow and steady win's . The person who can keep a cool head fairs well.

Thing's I have done (regularly) is when I am feeling a little frustrated I put myself in puppy's position and remind myself why I am doing this ? Answer - quite simple actually because I'm a puppy :D And don't fall for that winey cry baby Sh**** . Their play'n ya. If they win out with a cry & a whine Holy good grief !!! :roll: It can be hard when you hear them crying for attention . Don't give in. Remember always end on a positive and keep them wanting more.

Dog's are just plain cool -

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:11 am

bayleymay27 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:22 pm
Thanks so much, I find my self getting frustrated and often end on a bad note i need to change that habit thank you !
I've found that it helps when things aren't working, to not do that any more. Sometimes the dog isn't ready, sometimes the method I'm trying doesn't click with me, sometimes it doesn't click with the dog. So I just stop and think about it, and figure out a different way.
In general dogs want to do what we want them to do. It's on us to find a way to explain to them in a way they can understand. It's our responsibility to figure out the dog, not for the dog to figure out us. When we push and push, the dog will try different things to see what works...and IME they get farther and farther away from our original intent and now we have a bigger mess to deal with.

In training, remember, he's only a dog. In your pup's case, he's only a dog who at 9 weeks has been on this earth for 63 *days*.

If you can't get him to understand, just stop. Put the training aside and play with him and have a good time. Then think it all over and find another method, or wait a week or so and try again. There is no rule anywhere that I know of that says a dog has to be doing XYZ at a certain age.

There's a wealth of experience here so don't hesitate to ask about anything to do with your pup. No matter what it is, someone is likely to have been there done that.

Good luck with your new buddy.

JAY

Post by JAY » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:57 pm

My GSP pup also would chew on bumpers.

I wanted him to retrieve the bumper but there was something about its textile and size that would make him just chew on it – whether outside or indoors. So, for retrieving I switched to tennis balls. Sometimes he’d chew them but not often. He would also chew plastic plant pots from nurseries; so, I stopped throwing them. I was losing tennis balls in tall grass so I tried official Frisbees. He chewed them and destroyed them; THEN, I tried a KONG “Frisbee” (about 10-inch diameter) he sometimes chewed it but he cannot destroy it. He seems to especially like shaking it violently. He is now 3 ½ years old and I am still throwing the same KONG “Frisbee”. I can get great distances and he really enjoys retrieving it. To start the play, I usually wait for him to find were we left the Frisbee in the field and to bring it to me. If he gets over-heated, he will flop down and chew on it. That’s when I call it quits for the day. ALSO, he does not chew on bumpers anymore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:26 am

Nice to hear these updates . Thank's for sharing !