English Pointer in the house

PoorMansWrangler

English Pointer in the house

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:04 pm

Hey guys,
I was wondering for those with English Pointers, do you keep them in the house? I just put a deposit down on a male pup, I currently have a GSP who is easy in the house. Obviously lots of exercise, but any other tips? I do not have outdoor kennels, but it is a project on the to do list.

birdogg42

Re: English Pointer in the house

Post by birdogg42 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:13 pm

treat it like your shorthair and it will be fine

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:26 pm

I don't have pointers myself but I have friends who do...and they keep them in the house with no more issues than any other dog. Most of these folks have more than one pointer living with them.

A fella I know bought a pointer that turned out to be a complete dud as a bird dog, so he gave her away as a pet. Another mutual friend had a kennel full of pointers and felt bad for the fella, so gave him a nice proven dog who had lived his entire life in a kennel situation. Dog was two or three years old. Fella brings the dog home, puts him in the house and procedes to bring in a bunch of gear from the truck. Back and forth a few times, when he notices the new pointer is nowhere to be seen. Uh oh! So he looks all over the house, behind the furniture and all that, and finally finds the dog - lounging around on the bed as if he's been there his whole life :D

Not a pointer but a general dog thing...we took in a 13 year old setter who never lived anywhere but in a scott's kennel...those raised cage type of set ups. Not a problem in the world adjusting to life indoors, and housebroke in a day or so.

IMO it's more the individual dog than the breed.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:58 pm

Your new pup will need training and lots of exercise to burn off some of the excess energy.. But other than that should make a nice house dog.

Oh wait, every breed of puppy needs training and lots of exercise.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:29 pm

I cannot attest to the virtues or vices of any breed of dog in the house, as mine are all outside dogs. The only time they are in the house is when they are puppies in the winter and when they are injured and need care.

I suspect adult pointers, as a general rule will make pretty decent house dogs as far as demeanor and temperament. Most all of my pointers have had a very definite "OFF" switch, when not in hunting or play mode. The few times I have had dogs in the house they were absolutely on their best behavior, because they knew they weren't really supposed to be inside.

The only problem I would forsee with them as inside dogs is their short white hair, which sticks into fabrics, shows upon everything, since it is white, and it can be a real PIA to remove.

Th GSP has the same type of hair, but since it is often darker, it does not show up as readily.

RayG

HuskerHunt_416

Post by HuskerHunt_416 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:08 pm

The only downside I can see is the tail, my last shorthair had a full tail (long story) and we have a 95 Walker that we let inside and those long tails whipping around knock a lot of stuff down. Other than that they both did great in the house, so in my own personal experience all dogs do great in the house. I prefer it because the dog bonds so much better with you and can read your body language.

Beau B