Poor Breeder Contact

PoorMansWrangler

Poor Breeder Contact

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:22 am

Hey guys,
I was hoping for some advice in regards to contacting a breeder. I initially contacted a breeder in regards to a pup, and he said the female was due to come into heat soon, and call him in a couple of weeks. I waited a few weeks, called numerous times before I could reach him, and finally got ahold of him. The female has been bred, but the female is not on the website, however it is his female. The breeder said to call back in a few weeks because the female was going to be ultra-sounded. I’ve called 3 times, left voicemails each time, and texted twice with no response. Should this throw any red flags or am I just being over cautious? I also don’t want to bug the breeder, but I need to make sure I have a pup this spring, as I am starting to plan out of state hunts.

deseeker

Re: Poor Breeder Contact

Post by deseeker » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:39 am

I would look for a different breeder. He doesn't sound like his customers are a priority to him. I have bred Springers and then Brittanys for 25 years
and I ALWAYS contacted people within 2 days (most times the same day) of their call or e-mail. There are too many good breeders out there with
good dogs that will take better care of you. JMO. Good luck in your puppy search.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:08 am

Two things:
I have a really hard time with people who can't answer a call or reply to a text. If they think a call will waste too much of their time, I guess I get that (well maybe not) but answering a text is really easy and takes a second or two. It is just being rude.
I would look elsewhere. I would question why the female is not on his website. Have you seen a pedigree on this female.
The other thing is from the timing it sounds like the due date would be late April. If that is right the pup would be around 5 or 6 months when hunting seasons start. A little young to plan out of state hunts around. It might be very good for him an a fun time, but don't expect to much from the young pup.
I just bred a female with an outside male. The stud owner wanted to buy my female. I wonder if this could be the same kind of deal.
If you would not mind could you PM me the Kennel name.......Cj

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:19 am

Doesn't sound too promising to me.

It could be that the breeder already has the litter spoken for and a waiting list. With the tremendous influx of new hunters, a breed like Brittanys, or GSP's which is always in demand, will be even more so.

Something a bit different happens to me all the time with trial bred pointers. Many of those folks who breed high performance dogs want to hold on to pretty much the entire litter until they are about 8-10 months of age to evaluate them and then sell off the ones that aren't making the cut.

In any case, I think I would widen my search now to be sure of getting a pup this spring.

IMHO, there is not much you can do if the breeder does not want to talk to you...except to look elsewhere.

RayG

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:31 am

Thanks all for the advice, I appreciate it! As for the pup being young for the fall, I’m not expecting much at all, I’m heading out with my current dog and figured it would be good to get him used to being on the road, unfamiliar places etc. I’m going to give it a couple more calls. As for why the female wasn’t on the website, I am not sure, he said he doesn’t typically use the website, but when I tried to look up the female I couldn’t find anything

mask

Post by mask » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:54 am

I would agree with the thoughts already stated. What state is the breeder in and what breed?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:51 pm

Some breeders have lives and will touch base when there is something to touch base about. Maybe they are busy training dogs going to work making a living maybe they had intentions to get back and life got in the way and they forgot to call you back .
problem we have nowadays everybody wants everything right here right now and OMG if they aren't catered to right when they demand it. Some breeders aren't much for small talk and again when they have pups and are ready to say what they may have available. Like us we are not a first come first serve breeder pups that show a competitive nature I want them to go to people who are gonna field trial or will want that go go go get them type ups and the companion home they really don't want nor do they need an on the edge type pup. So no I am not going to give people silly daily "oh the puppy moved and whined" or Puppy drank milk " (We sell bird dog puppies, we do not sell fur babies) I have it happen where I am busy and get an email or text or call and forget to call or reply because I was talking or working with a client or clients dog or taking care of my day to day life.
If this sounds harsh Sorry but if the breeder has a good program then wait if it is someone that just slaps two papered dogs together then by all means seek another puppy breeder.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:41 pm

If the breeders Is to busy to send a 3 second text to a client he asked to call him. he is too busy. Go some where else. I could hook you up with some good GSP breeders that are reasonally priced. Some are getting crazy. If you are anywhere near minn. Mine are all gone but I know Some good breeders and some good litters that will be coming soon. I think they will answer your calls.....Cj

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:57 pm

Find a different breeder. This fool has no interest in selling you a pup. If you have a problem with the pup, health or otherwise, the lack of response will probably be about the same. Go Elsewhere.

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:35 am

Just wanted to give an update, still no contact from original breeder. However I got extremely lucky, and a breeder I had been looking at had a litter of ten week old pointers, with a male I was interested in. He arrives Sunday :D

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:37 am

Good for you :D Post pictures when you get him.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:44 am

Very good. Hope he turns out be all you ever hoped for. He will.......Cj

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:22 pm

Walker is a pretty cool guy, he is going to fit in great
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:17 pm

Nice looking pup :D Enjoy the fun.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:13 pm

nice looking fellow. thanks for the update and pic

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:11 pm

If that breeder was too busy to call you back when you wanted to give him money, just think what dealing with him would be like if you had a problem, and he already had the cash. Glad you found a pup from someone else.