Trial system for national bird dog championship

Thirdy8special

Trial system for national bird dog championship

Post by Thirdy8special » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:44 pm

Is the NC at Ames Plantation run by American Field?
Is any trial they post on their website/paper give points for the qualifying?
Do these trials say something like"An American Field Event"?
Just trying to figure it out as I'm not finding any info...Thx!
Texas JAC Lewellins(FB)

birddogger2

Re: Trial system for national bird dog championship

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:33 pm

Thirdy8special wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:44 pm
Is the NC at Ames Plantation run by American Field?
Is any trial they post on their website/paper give points for the qualifying?
Do these trials say something like "An American Field Event"?
Just trying to figure it out as I'm not finding any info...Thx!
The American Field does not run trials(except for one futurity I think). The American Field "sanctions" trials that are run according to their standards and procedures and records the results on the pedigrees of the dogs in their Field Dog Stud Book(FDSB) database.

The national championship is run by a club. That club sets the qualifying requirements selects the judges and conducts the trial. Every year, a list of qualifying trials is published in the American Field by that club. To qualify initially, a dog must win(place first) in TWO qualifying trials. In each subsequent year, after the initial qualifying, the dog must re-qualify by (I think) placing in a qualifying trial for that season. The dog is either qualified or it is not.

I seem to remember that they publish that list of qualifying trials sometime in the early summer months. I looked but I do not have a copy of the list of qualifying trials as I do not compete in those type trials. They are what are called "All Age" trials and the dogs that compete in those trials are typically big runners that hunt with independence at the far edges of the available terrain and their handlers follow on horseback.

You could always call the American Field offices and ask them where to find the list of qualifying trials. For the particulars on the trial itself, you can go to the Ames plantation website and research it there, since the trial is historically held on that venue every year.

Hope this helps.

RayG

Thirdy8special

Re: Trial system for national bird dog championship

Post by Thirdy8special » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:50 pm

Thank you very much.
Details are coming together now. I'd like to watch it and other trials someday. I listen to the field trial central youtube vids. The guest tell they're favorite trials so I try to write them down to one day attend. No one has gone into how to qualify, or I haven't heard them speak about it yet.
Now I need to figure out who runs the NC trial.