Started Lab Retriever

E64ever

Started Lab Retriever

Post by E64ever » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:56 am

New member here looking for some feedback.
I just got a 2.5 yr old male Labrador was sold to me as a started gun dog. Breeder told me he just wasn’t able to work the way he wanted him to and there was no problems with him. Which is fine for me because I won’t be hunting just wanted a dog that was already grown as I don’t have time for a puppy.

So I got the dog and have had him now for about 6 days and this dog is afraid of his own shadow, he won’t walk thru mechanical doors and is very skittish. I walk him in a city park and his tail is tucked between his legs. Basically his is shell shocked. Although in the back yard he will retrieve and play all day with his tail up.

I called the breeder and he is telling me he hasn’t seen this issue with him and to give him about 30 days to settle in. I am hoping this is the case.

Any feedback / thoughts on this good or bad please reply.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Started Lab Retriever

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:27 am

I'd say the breeder kept him in a kennel and the dog did well in the fields , but that's all he saw. The breeder "never saw this " as the dog wasn't socialized . Socialization is vital for a pup from a kennel too. If it were me I'd give it the 30 days and then make my decision, or ....your decision entirely

question for breeders: How do you socialize 6-8 pups or young dogs not sold yet from your kennel ?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:38 pm

Sharon wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:27 am
question for breeders: How do you socialize 6-8 pups or young dogs not sold yet from your kennel ?
One at a time, and if you can draft friends' kids or if you can put up a sign in a local school or supermarket, kids will volunteer to help if you volunteer to teach them about dogs.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:31 pm

E64ever wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:56 am
New member here looking for some feedback.
I just got a 2.5 yr old male Labrador was sold to me as a started gun dog. Breeder told me he just wasn’t able to work the way he wanted him to and there was no problems with him. Which is fine for me because I won’t be hunting just wanted a dog that was already grown as I don’t have time for a puppy.

So I got the dog and have had him now for about 6 days and this dog is afraid of his own shadow, he won’t walk thru mechanical doors and is very skittish. I walk him in a city park and his tail is tucked between his legs. Basically his is shell shocked. Although in the back yard he will retrieve and play all day with his tail up.

I called the breeder and he is telling me he hasn’t seen this issue with him and to give him about 30 days to settle in. I am hoping this is the case.

Any feedback / thoughts on this good or bad please reply.
I tend to agree with Sharon's assessment. Your new dog has probably never seen the kinds of things you are exposing him to and is scared and confused. Remember ... his entire world just got turned upside down. Everything he knew was taken away in one fell swoop and he doesn't know who or what or where. It sounds like he was in a relatively stable kennel and country type environment and is now alone, with no other dogs, in a much more urban setting that is quite different, foreign and probably very intimidating to him.

I would continue to expose him to his new surroundings, but in small doses. Also I would be encouraging, but not coddling or protective. Do not act to soothe his fear responses, but rather encourage him to be with you. Show and sound confident and self assured when doing those new things. Your confidence will show through and your dog will pick up on it and be assured by it. Be patient, be consistent. Be his new rock and his new Bud.

As far as socializing puppies is concerned, I also think that kids messing with pups is the the bomb. When I get a pup, I try to mess with it like a youngster would until it is comfortable with me handling it and , even roughhousing a bit. I'm too old to be rolling around with a puppy anymore because it takes waaaay too long to get up off the ground...but I did it with my last pup anyhow. Heck I was never very graceful anyway.

Usually three fingers of brown liquor afterwards eases the aching joints. But there is always some ibuprofen or naproxen or if it is really bad, some tramadol available for the aches and pains.

Take your time, give the dog time to know you and to trust you and he should come around.

RayG

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:24 pm

Sharon probably has it nailed. However, I have seen dogs from certain strains that were raised in homes and still acted like you are describing. He will adjust and work well for you but you MAY never be able to socialize him in a public setting. Be also aware, dog's like this can sometimes be very predisposed to bite strangers. It is fear biting, not aggressive biting.