Keeping pigeons near the kennel

JNC

Keeping pigeons near the kennel

Post by JNC » Sun May 09, 2021 7:02 pm

Probably a silly question but my wirehair stays in a kennel in our garage while I am at work. If I am keeping pigeons in the garage does anyone think that might lower my wirehairs intensity when we do train since he would be around them most of the day across the garage? I plan to build a coop outside eventually but I just built my home so the yard and all that is, well, still getting put together.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Keeping pigeons near the kennel

Post by Sharon » Mon May 10, 2021 2:10 pm

Can someone give their opinion - preferably based on experience - to this new member? I have no idea. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 pm

JNC
I douybt it will make any differenceat all.
I have a pigeon That I raised from a very small baby beause his parents quit taking care of him. He lives loose in the kennel with the dogs. Sometimes he goes in their grates or kennels with them. They treat him like another dog. They still train on pigeons in the field. It may build up his prey drive not being able to get to them......CJ

JNC

Post by JNC » Tue May 11, 2021 11:23 pm

Thanks for the replies. It’s my only option for the moment so I guess we will see haha. But that is certainly encouraging to hear it certainly shouldn’t hurt especially in the short term.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Wed May 12, 2021 5:07 pm

I haven't tried that one, only keeping the dogs around the chickens and teaching them to leave the chickens alone.

People who hunt with ferrets and falcons keep the falcons and ferrets together and that way the falcon does not hunt the ferret when they are being used at the same time to hunt rabbits.

I'd move the birds elsewhere as soon as possible. But on the "don't worry" side of things, dogs tend to separate animals at home from animals off their own property. So the dog might learn that the pigeons aren't for him while they are in the garage but they are for him when you are outside.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu May 13, 2021 12:34 pm

Sharon wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:10 pm
Can someone give their opinion - preferably based on experience - to this new member? I have no idea. :)
Don't know what intensity some want or perceive , 'Sight point' rather than 'Scent Point' can be confusing , whether it is 'Short Haired' or 'Wire'? .lol
It makes no difference (ime) whether the pigeons are in the coup next to the dog or not !?
It makes good videos though when both dog and handler and audience viewing can see what's going on !? , me personally , I like when I can't see the bird and the dog can't either. :wink:
This pup' however like many who have come through our ranks ,it is great training along with the hens and other critters like rabbits and ducks etc.
The pigeons in this set up are in the kennel next to the dogs , but secure .lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCK5SPp97kE

Nyzk

Post by Nyzk » Thu May 20, 2021 3:23 pm

As far as I can tell its not bad at all I keep my GSP a couple feet from my pigeon loft and I have her sit when I am Caring for them and she still points them and try's to kill them any time I let her.

JNC

Post by JNC » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:07 pm

Thanks for the replies guys!

I’ve had 10-20 pigeons in the garage across from him and if anything things have improved and I’d like to think being around them more he has more control and drive is just as intense if not more so. Though of course further training at his age it’s likely to improve anyhow haha