GSP Breeders

Grover

GSP Breeders

Post by Grover » Sat May 22, 2021 8:55 am

Hi Everyone.

I am new to the forum. I am looking for recommendations for a GSP breeder. I was on the list for a pup but it looks like the litter will be a little short and I will not be getting one.

I am looking for a dog to both upland bird hunt with me and have fun with/be part of the family. I do not expect to get involved with field trials.

I know WalnutHill is highly recommended. Does anyone have any thoughts on Fieldmaster's Shorthairs? What about Sharpshooters Kennels?

I am willing to travel for the right dog. Anywhere from the east coast to Wisconsin/Minnesota would be fine.

I had also considered a PP or WPG but am pretty set on a GSP.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP Breeders

Post by Sharon » Sat May 22, 2021 11:07 am

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll get help with your question here.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat May 22, 2021 11:58 am

Grover:
I know of a very nice GSP breeding in central Minnesota. If all went well she should be due soon. I will PM info if he asavailable puppies. The mother isa very nice female and the sire isa black white male. Willowcreeks Honker. I think they will produce nice family bird dog puppies and be sensibily priced.......Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Sun May 30, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Sun May 23, 2021 8:58 am

Rock Creek Kennels Kellogg Iowa. Nick they do a few breedings a year and all his dogs are hunters. We have 2 right now we are extremely happy with the behavior in field and house.

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Sun May 23, 2021 9:17 pm

Based on what little I know, I am not sure you can do better than a pup from Walnut Hill. Blue Dawn kennels in Kansas has an outstanding reputation for high octane hunting dogs and I would probably talk with them if it isn't too far away. Sundance Kennels in Missouri also has a really good reputation based on what I know.

Some kennels have national reputations for GSP's but there are a number of smaller kennels that have some nice dogs for the average guy. It depends what you are looking for, cost and how long you want to wait. Everybody wanted dogs during the pandemic and I know some breeders that stopped taking calls or telling people they had planned litters.

I got my female GSP from John Prince in Pittsburg, KS and have been extremely happy with her. She is a big ranging female that has fit right in with our family. I happen to be driving in that area and stopped in to look at his dogs but not really planning on buying one. John put some dogs out with birds and she kept bringing the quail back to me. A couple of licks later and I was writing a check. Her pedigree isn't going to impress anyone but she is going to be a better dog than I am a hunter. I am good with that. Good luck in your search.

Grover

Post by Grover » Mon May 24, 2021 7:45 pm

I appreciate the responses. Thank you!

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Tue May 25, 2021 5:55 pm

Grover wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:55 am
Hi Everyone.

I am new to the forum. I am looking for recommendations for a GSP breeder. I was on the list for a pup but it looks like the litter will be a little short and I will not be getting one.

I am looking for a dog to both upland bird hunt with me and have fun with/be part of the family. I do not expect to get involved with field trials.

I know WalnutHill is highly recommended. Does anyone have any thoughts on Fieldmaster's Shorthairs? What about Sharpshooters Kennels?

I am willing to travel for the right dog. Anywhere from the east coast to Wisconsin/Minnesota would be fine.

I've owned a Walnut Hill dog and did quiet well with it as a puppy/Derby. He was one heck of a dog however VERY difficult to live with. I would buy another but would look for a puppy out of Benny without the Palm Glades. I think Brenda and Rick went that way to put a little more zip into their dogs and it worked. IMO they lost the in house livability of the dog when they did this. He was very pacey and whiney, would have done much better as a kennel dog. I ended up moving him along as a 3 year old.

My current shorthair, I bought from Kirk at Cedar Creek. She is ALL Age bred out of Kimbers Tactical and the bitch goes back to Uodibar. Same father as Brandon Blums Lewey dog. She is really nice at a year old and far easier to live with. To the point that we have never really struggled with her in the house like the Walnut Hill dog. She lays quiet, is extremely good with our 3 year old, VERY people oriented, and lots of Natural Ability.
Kirk is doing a breeding with a full sibling to my pup (previous litter) to a Tac daughter. I would talk to him about it if you can. Tac is super laid back and is passing that onto his pups from what I see.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed May 26, 2021 8:04 am

Grover wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:55 am
Hi Everyone.

If it were me...

Sharpshooter is hard to beat. I haven't seen a bad one. You will be expected to test the dog in NAVHDA at least through NA. They are something like Duke Basketball in terms of their overwhelming success in NAVHDA.

I'd also look at Sundance German Shorthairs...From what I've seen they are, on the whole, darker colored, bigger boned, maybe a notch calmer compared to shorthairs on the whole.

Friedelsheim also has some really nice dogs...

But most importantly, buy a dog from someone that mostly hunts like you want to hunt. If you want a dog for grouse hunting, buy from a grouse hunter. If you expect to take many trips to the dakota prairies for Sharptails and Huns and want a big running dog, do that. If all you really want to hunt is Pheasants get a spaniel :P

GSPRook

Post by GSPRook » Sun May 30, 2021 1:10 pm

You might also want to check out Willow Creek in MN. I have a 3-year-old female out of their Honker (mentioned above by Cj) and Sadie. She is my first pointing dog and she had all of the natural ability that made my job pretty easy. I gave her the foundation with basic obedience and then just put her on wild birds. I have never tested her, but she is plenty proficient for my style of hunting. As a bonus, she loves water and has a very natural retrieve.

She has been easy to live with, IF she gets daily, off-lead exercise. If she is not getting enough exercise, she will let you know, not in a destructive way, just in a vocal way. She has also been extremely tolerant of kids and other dogs.

Good luck!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun May 30, 2021 8:49 pm

I guess people can spend their money however they want.But IMO $2000 is overpriced for a puppy........Cj

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Mon May 31, 2021 8:45 am

DITTO to CJHILL...

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Mon May 31, 2021 5:18 pm

cjhills wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:49 pm
I guess people can spend their money however they want.But IMO $2000 is overpriced for a puppy........Cj
I would agree with you. Plenty of well bred dogs out there for half that.