Exchanging commands for Whoa- yay or nay

JNC

Exchanging commands for Whoa- yay or nay

Post by JNC » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:17 pm

Been working with my 1 yr 4 month old wirehair with pigeons and a remote launcher. He has always been pretty solid for his age, holding point right up until he knew I was within 6’ or so of where he thought the bird was (and he was always right). I was working pretty hard just to keep him holding until I got closer to the launcher but he wasn’t getting it. I swapped commands just to see what would happen to stay, which he is very used to in a variety of scenarios. After that switch he held point no matter what I was doing until the bird was launched. Is this going to be an issue? My first time training a pointing dog so I know I’m probably making some mistakes along with overthinking some things. I’d say overall though he has progressed very well for upland and waterfowl as I have few concerns for the upcoming season.

Thanks!

birddogger2

Re: Exchanging commands for Whoa- yay or nay

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:47 am

JNC -

Sounds like you are doing quite well for your first pointy type dog. If the swapped out command is working... I'd go with it for a few sessions and then overlay the original command right after, so giving the dog BOTH commands nd, eventually,, go back to the original command if you wish. Dogs don't speak our language, but learn to respond by association and(I believe) pay more attention to the tone of voice than the actual word. So whether a command is given in English, German, or whatever, the dog will learn to associate the command with a behavior.

Don't forget to stroke and praise for compliance, even for partial compliance. Even if you have to pop the check cord(or tap the e-collar) and re-position the dog, be upbeat, and finish off with stroking and praise. Positive reinforcement is HUGE at that age.

Lastly, know when to quit. If the dog does it right...the first time... consider putting a lead on the dog, taking it out of there and doing something else, like heeling away or or just taking some time to have some one one one with the dog.

I always try to "quit a winner". I actively avoid the temptation to " see it one more time". i want the dog to remember doing it right and getting praised for it.

You are getting there, I think. Steady as she goes. You have ALL summer, so don't fall into the trap of rushing anything.

RayG

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:41 pm

I don't think it matters what word you use as long as the dog understand what you want. You can say Rutabaga and if the dog understands that he is not to move when you say rutabaga, then that is working just fine ....aside from the looks you will get from the other hunters in the field when you use rutabaga as a command with your competition dog.

It can lead to occasional communication mix-ups sometimes. My son's British spaniels were trained to sit and stay at the command "hup" and my dogs were trained to jump into my pickup at the command "hup". I'd tell his dogs to jump in the truck and they would sit and refuse to move. We managed to work it out, though.

I don't compete so if you are going to do gun dog trials look and see if there are any rules about commands, what can be used, how many words, that sort of thing. If you aren't going to compete, it doesn't matter as long as the dog understands what you want.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:10 pm

Use what the dog understands and works and don't think twice. The true key is consistency and as mentioned in another post, anyone who will be giving your dog commands needs to know what you use to prevent confusion on your/the dog's part. If you plan to hunt your dog with other dogs, it can be good to use something other than the "typical" to prevent interfering with another hunter's dog if it's within earshot of your command to your dog.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:59 am

Deal with words we use as commands is they actually have no meaning to the dog. The dog associates a word with an action. You can change the command anytime you want. We say whoa because we know what it means! We say here or come because we know what it means! The dog hears a certain sound and associates it with an action. You can take the commands a dog knows in one language and teach him the same thing in another language! As for getting within 6' and the dog moves, you said the birds are in launcher's, remote? If they are in remote launcher's, don't look for the bird, watch the dog. Dog moves launch the bird! Then your teaching the dog that it's movement launch's the bird! The more hands off the dog you can do the better your dog will learn. Put hands on and what will happen is the dog makes a mistake and you enforce the rules, not the bird. Now let me also say that is simply my way of doing things. Lot of dog's have been trained hands on, it will work. But you have to be very consistent with what your doing. Another thing I don't do is kick cover simulating looking for the bird. Do that and you are the distraction! You'll find a wild bird will not normally allow you to do that. Take a lesson from the wild bird and don't do it. You don't need to be on top of the bird to flush it, just try to get it flushed while the dog is still and then praise the dog. Don't correct the dog for a mistake after the mistake has already been made! He does it right, praise him. he does it wrong pop the bird and go on.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:32 pm

Most probably, 'words' /commands are more for the handler than the dog? :wink:
Early days of Pup, the 'Tone' is most likely to be best responsive (probably why Females are successful dog handlers in obedience disciplines)
I was at a competition the other weekend ,where the Judge made comment after the 'Test' .."I noticed that you never used any verbal commands when handling the dog on casting or direction"! ..I replied " Well, ..that's because it doesn't listen to a single word I say " ! lol :lol: