New/old member, trail info

FirehouseBirdDogs

New/old member, trail info

Post by FirehouseBirdDogs » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:50 am

Hello all,
My name is Will and I have 2 GSPs and a lab. I was on this website about 8 years ago, visited sporadically over that time. But I had a question, I am looking for someone to run a dog in the near future in field trials and hunt tests. My current trainer has retired from running in those competitions. He is a great trainer and I will keep using him for that side of things. So I just need a someone to run the dog when I can't make it or if it's out of state. I currently live in Washington state and have been doing hunt tests. But I am about to get a great dog that will be meant for trials. Any suggestions on someone you trust?

Thanks
Will

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: New/old member, trail info

Post by shags » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:55 am

Are you looking for an amateur or a pro? AKC, presumably?

I'd start by asking your trainer for some possible handlers. He probably has been around enough to know who he'd trust, and who has similar training/handling skills. Otherwise you might start going to trials and observing, see who does the winning and how they treat their dogs, and whether you'd like them as an FT and training buddy. Most folks I know would want some sort of connection with a dog before just taking it off the stakeout and running it...so that might entail some training time together, or getting together to run dogs, or scouting for each other at trials. Remember for AKC trials, there are restrictions on compensation and the number of dogs an amateur can handle.

If you're looking for a pro, just ask if handling non-trainees is something they do, the cost, and all the details like who enters the dog, when do you drop it off and pick it up, etc. Even though you like your current trainer, it might be more feasible to let him develop your dog to broke stakes, then hand the dog off to a different trainer for the purpose of trialing. The pros I know wouldn't be likely to just take a random dog to run once in a while.

Good luck with your new dog, and that he turns out to be a good one.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:46 am

Dan Hoke is out there. Don't think youncan do much better with a shorthair.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:07 pm

RyanDoolittle wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:46 am
Dan Hoke is out there. Don't think youncan do much better with a shorthair.
I'll second that.

FirehouseBirdDogs

Post by FirehouseBirdDogs » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:05 pm

I have spoken with my trainer and he gave me a name of a pro in Oregon he trusts and used to compete against. Once the dog has a few months training with my current trainer I will reach out. This dog has a killer pedigree and his sire could be in line for HOF. I'm very excited to add this line to my kennel! I have ran hunt tests but never field trials and I figure with these lines this dog needs to RUN!

Thanks for the input!