Looking for ideas for mounting a crate to my ATV

K9BigDog

Looking for ideas for mounting a crate to my ATV

Post by K9BigDog » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:04 pm

Grouse hunting in the Catskill mountains of New York means a LOT of climbing up steep hills and old logging trails. I'd like to find a good way to mount a crate/kennel on the rear rack of my ATV. I saw something online (Dusty Dawg?) but to be honest I think the $450+ cost is just too steep. I'm looking at Ruff Land also but their website says that they're like 16 weeks behind in filling orders. Would really like to see what everyone else does.

Garrison

Re: Looking for ideas for mounting a crate to my ATV

Post by Garrison » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:20 pm

A couple ratchet straps has always worked for me. The Ruff Land Intermediate is a great size and quality product.
428C4320-47A4-40DA-A6D8-674DB3340F17.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:39 am

I use the same as Garrison

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:29 am

Ratchet straps and a chain if you want to be extra secure. You may want to check your local cabelas/bass pro, around here they have them for sale in the store

K9BigDog

Post by K9BigDog » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:36 am

Thanks guy, I kinda figured I'd need the ratchet straps, I'm more looking for ideas or thoughts as to whether or not a regular old plastic dog crate would work, and how to tie that down without crushing it. I'd love to by a Ruffland but even if I ordered it today I'd be waiting close to 4 months for it to get to me and to be honest, shipping on them is ridiculous. I'm actively looking for a used one that I can pick up somewhere, though. Maybe I'll get lucky. I'm going to try strapping down a regular crate like a Vari-Kennel and taking for a dry run without the dog up on the mountain where I hunt and see how it does.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:38 am

K9 -

I'm thinking it would be safer to securely mount a slab of 3/4 plywood to your back rack. This way you can size the plywood for your crate and know that it won't shift, once it is secured to the plywood.You could then drill and install mounting rings, exactly where they are needed, with fender washers and locknuts through the plywood, and be sure that the rings won't pull out under stress.

As far as using vari-kennels, I suggest that you use something to spread the load under the straps and to use the widest straps you can. I'm thinking something like the heavy sheet metal edge protectors that one sometimes sees under metal strapping. This way you can crank the ratchet straps down pretty tight, without crushing the top of the box.

I kinda like the Ruffland kennels also. You might check Bass Pro/Cabelas to see if a store in your area has them. I got mine at a Cabelas that wan't too awful far from me and picked up some 22 ammo at the same time.

RayG

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:31 pm

I am using an old Vari-kennel probably 30 years old. 2 light ratchet straps front to back cross in the center top. I saw a big rotund shaped hunter with a big Gsp. He cut an oval in a large crate right behind his back to give him comfortable room. When he got off the quad the dog came out of the same hole and exited over the seat. To each his own.