Wildly OT Rat Hunt

oregon woodsmoke

Wildly OT Rat Hunt

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:49 pm

I stumbled onto a rat hunt video by accident. But I thought it was interesting that the dogs locate the rats, kill the rats, and then fetch them to hand.

Not really much different than what our gun dogs do for us... except for a Dutch Shepherd who cut out the middle man and deposited his dead rat into a bucket instead of giving it to the man who then put it in a bucket. But the delivering of game to hand for the human is apparently a dog thing and not just a gun dog thing.

Also interesting: the pack was a couple of Pattersdale terriers, a hairy looking terrier that was probably a Jack Russel, two coursing greyhounds, the Dutch Shepherd, and a German Shorthair Pointer. The Pointer was keen to locate rats but he never actually killed any because he was too polite. He'd go for the rat and the terriers would just shove him out of the way, without so much as an "excuse me". Which makes sense. The gun dogs are bred to be polite and wait for the kill.

Interesting, to watch but I am not planning on taking up the hobby.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Wildly OT Rat Hunt

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:10 pm

Nothing better than a JRT to kill rats. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh84o5STysk
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MNTonester

Re: Wildly OT Rat Hunt

Post by MNTonester » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:05 pm

gotta love a terrier doing its thing; especially on rats