Hello&Chessie

Iowa_Dude

Hello&Chessie

Post by Iowa_Dude » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:05 pm

Hello, a little about me. I'm Gary 36 Iowa. I use to be an avid deer, duck, and upland hunter up until a few years back. I've had several gun dogs before, and my cousins and uncles raises hounds. My last pup was a Chesapeake Bay Retriever "Boji" and he was started, I think around 1.5yo or so when I got him. He was an awesome dog, but definitely didn't like the mailman or the guy that rode the bike past the house every Sunday. Me and him just clicked. I didn't like the mailman either. He knew everything I was telling him it seemed. We just recently purchased a new home with several acres and decided to get a new pup. Fell in love with the Chessie so He's 9 weeks old cousins of my Boji, his name is Hawk. He is coming along great so far. We've been putting a lot of work in together. He somewhat knows "sit" and "stay" kinda... Play bighting is disappearing quickly thanks to some of you that's posted on a few other threads although I have more questions on that. I've have been working on "Come" and seems to be an issue for him. I've been working it over and over, but it likes to fall of deaf ears most of the time. He just sits there and stares at me. Im a member of a few "non dog related forums", and listen to several gun dog podcast but questions I have may never be answered there. Nice to meet everyone, thanks for reading.
Questions.
Are any of you familiar with training Chessies?
Are there any breed specific books I should read about them to help me help them help me better? lol
If anyone would like to PM me about specific issues, Please do.
Issues:
play bighting, growling
peeing every 5 minutes
scared taking a bath, mostly when I pour water over his body. I've not poured on his head yet. this seem like its going to be a huge issue in the future?
household corrections:
chewing shoes
scavenging for scraps on the floor at dinner
Meals: "this one I've thought about and tried to research a lot:
how often should he eat.
remarks:
I use "the claw" and then hold his mouth shut, and stop all activity if he starts biting after one correction. bite playing soon turns into playing with play growling. he's getting better at this though, I hope it continues improving. Peeing every five minutes is still questionable. He's a pup, I guess it happens, but jeesh. bath time I'm all ears on, I don't know where to look on this issue. he's a water dog... We are working on keeping shoes off the floor and where they should be, but he is listening when we way NO so I see a lot of improvement on that. I am in the process of kennel training. I think I need more training than him on that. how do I kennel him and make him feel like its the best place to be? I feel bad putting him in a kennel when were eating or when we go to the store. I know he needs to get use to it, but I thought a kennel was a safe space for them. It feels like every time I put him in there its a torcher chamber. And finally, how often should I feed him. I have a 7 to 3 job "not specifically", usually leave at 6:45am, feed him about 6:15ish, I take him out to poop and then my oldest son takes over for a little bit before he goes to school. I have been feeding him a little over .5 cups in the morning, then when I get home at around 3 feed him about 1/3 of a cup, and then around 7 feed another .5 cup. Should I just feed him a half cup in the morning and half cup around 5pm? I know he needs his energy but thats the best i can do. I didnt have this issue with Boji, He eat when he was hungry, not because I give him food.
Thanks for the help, thanks for reading. My Pm's are open to anyone. have a good one.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Hello&Chessie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:06 pm

Welcome to the forum.! Moved your question so you get some answers.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:29 pm

Because of the relative rarity of Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, the people who breed them tend to be pretty serious people and committed to the breed. Most breeders are quite happy to help when they sell new puppies. Have you contacted that person? You are liable to get some very good direction in that manner.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:38 pm

Welcome to the forum. I am not trying to blow off your questions or concerns, they are valid. If you use the search function with some of the key words, many of them if not all have been discussed at length. There is a whole lot to unpack in your first post and personally I am reluctant to partially answer questions, as I am sure others are as well. Here is a bit of direction.

Feed your pup a large breed appropriate food, it will have an AAFCO statement that says it is appropriate for “growth/all life stages including large size dogs 70lbs or more”. I usually feed my pups three times a day in the beginning, then switch to two times in a couple months and then once a day before a year old. DON’T LET HIM GET FAT! They will grow to their full size in due time, letting them get chunky will only cause health issues.

I never had a dog that hated water, had many who were not too excited about a bath, but would still jump in a cattle trough or pond. Two different things. Look up “water introduction”.

With the search function type in “Aggressive Puppy or aggression” and look for posts from RayG and Shags. You will learn a lot about puppy behavior including how to handle biting.

Chewing shoes is on you, retrievers chew everything you leave for them to chew on, and then some. You must keep the pup in a safe spot with safe items when unattended. When they are out, watch them like a hawk. Vets routinely have to cut open retrievers to go fishing.

Garrison
Last edited by Garrison on Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:35 pm

you said you have a problem with the come command, so I'll pick that one to answer. Come is usually pretty easy to teach. It will take two people, a couple of 15 foot ropes, and a couple handfuls of kibble. Each person ties a rope to the dogs collar. Both people sit down about 15 feet apart from each other holding one rope.. Have the dog by one of people. The other person says come(once) if he doesn;t come to them that person reels the dog in with the rope and gives the dog a piece of kibble. The other person now says come(once) and reels the dog to them and gives the pup a piece of kibble. Keep doing that back and forth and the pup will figure out he will get a piece of food if he comes to the command. after awhile you won't have to reel the dog in when you say come. Don;t give him a piece of kibble unless you call him to you, otherwise he will just run back and forth between the 2 people looking for food. After he figures out what you want him to do you can get farther apart and do away with the ropes. As time goes by you can slowly do away with the food and give him a pat, a good boy, & a ear rub. What ever you give it the way of kibble for training, cut that amount of food during his regular meal.

Iowa_Dude

Post by Iowa_Dude » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:37 pm

Thanks all. I got a couple of books and some youtube channels has helped quite a bit. The only issue lately is still the play biting. I will handle it. I see it taking some time and firm corrections but we will get there. Hawk will come"ish" and sit, and he is enjoying all the retrieving games. He got his vaccine updates yesterday, he was pretty swore, but sprung back today. I'll be switching to Eukanuba puppy large breed per vet reccomendation (from blue buffalo puppy). Good times and fun stuff!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:39 pm

Glad it is working out. One good thing to remember is: Never call your pup unless you are going to follow through EVERY time. If he doesn't come on ONE call , get up and get him.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:06 pm

Iowa_Dude wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:37 pm
I'll be switching to Eukanuba puppy large breed per vet reccomendation (from blue buffalo puppy).
Good call IMO

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:52 pm

play bighting, growling

Never allow. I allow no pup to ever bite me, play or not. Big NO, NO.

peeing every 5 minutes

Can't help you there. Usually some kind of a minor bladder infection. Kidney disease could be an issue though. Questiong for a Veterinarian.

scared taking a bath, mostly when I pour water over his body. I've not poured on his head yet. this seem like its going to be a huge issue in the future?

Simple. Don't bathe him. Brush him. The more you bathe a Chessie, the more oil you remove from their hair. They smell more than other retrievers. If you don't want a smelly dog, you shouldn't have gotten a Chessie. :lol:

household corrections:
chewing shoes

No, tap on nose, substitute with dog toy.

scavenging for scraps on the floor at dinner

Why let him? If you don't want him to do it, kennel him or make him lie down and stay in another room. Normal thing for a dog to do.

Meals: "this one I've thought about and tried to research a lot:
how often should he eat.

As a pup, three times a day. Go by Purina's guidelines. They've invested a lot of time an money in it.

bdneale

Post by bdneale » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:44 pm

chewing shoes

When he takes a shoe without you noticing always encourage him to bring it to you with lots of praise.
No matter if it's the nicest pair of shoes you own, don't get mad. Turn it into a training scenario.
If you catch him taking a shoe off the rack, well thats a different story.....give a stern no and a chewing alternative

baths

9 weeks old might be a little young for a formal bath.
Brush him and wipe down with a wet wash cloth if he gets really dirty.
Make everything fun fun fun, find a small creek and let him splash around (if the waters not super cold).

kennel

Make him want to go in the kennel. A high value treat such as a small kong with peanut butter will do the trick.
Start in short increments, and gradually increase his time in the crate.
Does he sleep in his crate?

Iowa_Dude

Post by Iowa_Dude » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:15 pm

Update. Hawk is 12 weeks old now and 20lbs. He is kennel trained and gets fed 3 cups a day. Still has a shoe obsession. I give him his 2nd bath and it went mich better. I have owned a started chessie before and just doing the same 1 bath a month with gentile shampoo due to the oils. Everything is going great so far. He is very smart and catches on to things very easily, however is very hard headed and stubborn at times. The play biting continues, but it is slowly getting better. I have researched, and read a lot, and the flood of information is being executing and in turn working positively for the both of us.