Pants and vest

isuhunter

Pants and vest

Post by isuhunter » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:23 am

Good morning everyone!

I'm on the search for a new vest (i'm thinking strap vest) that goes well with carrying gatorade water bottle and a good secure spot to hang my alpha 200 or 550 remote. I also need some new pants the filson chaps are too warm early season. Curious what everyone else has had good luck with. Expensive items for sure!

Vests:
Orvis pro
Pyke
LL Bean P'artridge

Pants:
First lite sawbuck
Pyke Kiowa

Garrison

Re: Pants and vest

Post by Garrison » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:01 am

Can’t help with upland specific pants, or the exact vests listed. The best vest if you can get one, is Wingworks. They do seem to be perpetually out of stock.

I have a Tenzing and Orvis Waxed Cotton strap vest. Tenzing is more of a backpack, good for a long day away from the truck and I need to pack extra gear and a camelbak. My Orvis gets the vast majority of the work, both training and hunting. Has a spot for two water bottles, holds all I need for a normal day afield and stays cool because of the mesh. Pretty happy with the quality and utility, albeit pretty simple.

Garrison

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:25 am

STONE CREEK MAKES THE MOST DURABLE VEST AND CHAPS IN MY OPINION

Gneiss Dog

Post by Gneiss Dog » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:33 pm

So you may want to add more info on what your hunting and where. Apologies if I missed it.

Pants- I have a pair of first lite sawbuck and love them held up well through one full season so far on chuckar in California. They do run long in leg by design. Stretch well, never had anything poke through (first few hunts I walked purposely closer to stuff to test it out) and much cooler than my browning upland pants. But I liked the leg stash pocket on those and they lasted me well. You will likely want base layer under w sawbuck if in colder weather or look at another style. Buddy has Sitka not sure model he likes them but not in heavier brush. A few archery friends have mentioned liking Sitka and Kuiu and other styles first lite

Vest - I started w a strap vest it worked well but I had modify to keep straps from falling off shoulders. Now I use it for training days. I have a original wingworks about every other year I hose it down and it still looks great it’s gotta be over 10years now. They since made pockets wider at top and different lengths. I love that vest.
A buddy got the final rise it’s nice. Much lighter but I feel I can’t justify getting one when my wingworks is still so good. Wingworks is not always available or is backordered especially during season so that may make your mind up.

Not much help on the others vest. Have heard good things on pike. I would say main thing w both above vest is ability to comfortably hold lots of water. If you are doing shorter hunts other vest may suit you better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

Post by jmez » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:47 am

Final Rise for a vest. Great product, well made and very functional.

Can't help you with the pants. I still use Filson. I agree they are hot but worth it to me. Nothing else comes close for protection and waterproofing. Early season, if not hunting nasty cover I just wear a pair of gaiters.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

K9BigDog

Post by K9BigDog » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:38 am

I've been buying second-hand upland jeans or brush pants on eBay from time to time. I usually find ones that are in new or near-new condition and get them for $15-25. Got few upland or shooting shirts like that, too. Of course, even of they're brand new I wash them first but everything so far has been great.
I have a really nice strap vest by Pella but unfortunately they aren't available anymore. Also have this 8-1 Upland jacket from Cabela's that pretty much does it all, vest, light jacket, heavy coat. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas ... at-for-men

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:50 pm

Bucks Bags makes a vest that feels like a back pack with big pockets upfront. Big zipper front covered by heavy velcro. Front outer pockets have velcro flaps.Has a chest belt and adjustable (hi or Low) waist belt. I can wear it all day comfortably. If game bag is empty I will drive with it on. comes in tailored sizes. Love it.

Hunters1

Post by Hunters1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:20 am

Wingworks vest...Hard to get yes, but if you watch the site and communicate with the company on a regular basis, when vests do become available, you might get a heads up prior to the site opening for order taking. Be ready to order from the inventory they have on hand if you get the notice. They sell out fast! I am very pleased with the vest I got two years ago.