Winter dog house ventilation

JNC

Winter dog house ventilation

Post by JNC » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:15 pm

Hello! I have a question on venting a dog box and will share probably way more than I need to!

So I have an extremely well insulated dog box , literally several inches of insulation in floor, ceiling, and each wall. I live in ND and like to make sure they’re warm (spoiled I know). I have bedding in there also, was straw now cedar ribbons. This is a dog box I built with my dad 9 years ago for my first lab. I’ve been reading lately that it needs ventilation or it could cause respiratory issues. My lab was never in there for real long periods of time but still over the course of 9 years it saw plenty of daytime use in the winter and he never had any issues. He’s turning 10 soon and is still healthy as a horse. He is just now is a well behaved old man who is free in the home all winter long.

I’m now on my own with a new home and setting it up for my two young dogs who absolutely cannot be left alone inside, so they will be in the dog run with the attached box during the day unless maybe the high is -20f or colder then inside in the crate was the thought. My one is a tough German wirehair and the other is a young lab, so neither are sensitive to the cold.

Do I need to put in a vent? I mean that bad boy is dang near air tight and very well built, only want to add vent holes if necessary. I’ve been told I’ll have two dead dogs if I don’t and I’ve been told it may not hold heat as well if I do.

Thanks guys!

Garrison

Re: Winter dog house ventilation

Post by Garrison » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:22 pm

Yes, a dog house needs a small vent near the top to allow moisture to escape. Something like this.
279ABCDA-03B1-47BF-9FC2-DAFBD3E83C34.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.