Clumbers

dyrne

Clumbers

Post by dyrne » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:13 am

This may be a stupid idea but my dad has had a number of operations and mostly hobbles around these days though he still spends most of his time outside and in the woods. I was wondering what you guys thought about the clumber spaniel and if there are even any lines worthy of being called "field" lines in the states. We're in kentucky and the dog would be primarily a companion in the woods and sometimes grouse or quail dog

I feel kind of silly even asking this. I've never even seen one around here but I thought I'd toss the question to the forum.

oregon woodsmoke

Re: Clumbers

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:19 pm

There are a few breeders who field work all of their Clumbers. They are flushing spaniels so should not be hard to train and they naturally stick close and work fairly slowly, so good for a hunter who isn't rushing around.

They tend to have nice personalities and to be good house dogs.

Somewhere I've got a few kennel names of people who hunt with their Clumbers. If you are serious about getting one, I'll dig the list out.

You'll have to go on a waiting list, Pups are all sold long before the breeding is even done, and be extra careful about demanding OFA or PennHip certification. The breeders have hip dysplasia pretty much under control, but it is a breed that has had hip weakness in the past.

Be aware that they are large dogs. Just because their legs are short does not mean they are small by any means. They can weigh up to 85 pounds which makes them as big as some of the largest pointers.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:03 pm

Here we Go!
It's not the breed , it's the temperament in the breeding and nurture of the dog .
Pigeon holing a breed is like ....well,go figure.
Your Pa' may be best and be best pals with an older dog of any breed that that likes being close and already trained to do so and still likes a hunt around without much handling .

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:28 am

polmaise wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:03 pm
Here we Go!
It's not the breed , it's the temperament in the breeding and nurture of the dog .
Pigeon holing a breed is like ....well,go figure.
Your Pa' may be best and be best pals with an older dog of any breed that that likes being close and already trained to do so and still likes a hunt around without much handling .
Thank you, Robt. - and not for nothing is the breed in question known in the US as "snow pigs." A working clumber from UK, different story altogether (said without any pigeon holing or wood pigeon holing :wink: in mind).

MG

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:20 pm

There was a gentleman on here long ago that was an expert on clumbers. Lol.