Vitamin K in Dog food - Dangerous?

Hunters1

Vitamin K in Dog food - Dangerous?

Post by Hunters1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:38 am

I have read that vitamin K in dog food can be dangerous. Some foods contain vitamin K under the following name: Menadione Sodium Bisulfate which is a synthetic version of vitamin K. Though the amount in most food is small, some think this ingredient can be highly toxic in high doses and that over a lifetime of feeding food with vitamin K can be dangerous to a dog. Hazard information regarding menadione lists “carcinogenic effects” and states “the substance is toxic to kidneys, lungs, liver, mucous membranes. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.” ( http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione.) Do any of you have concern or have your vets expressed concern over this? I guess food rotation might be able to address this if it is a real concern. Thoughts?

Garrison

Re: Vitamin K in Dog food - Dangerous?

Post by Garrison » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:49 am

Zero. Lots and lots of dogs living very long healthy productive lives on PPP (Menadione Sodium Bisulfate inclusive). Some of mine probably longer than they should.

If the majority of folks who frequent that site and the many like it spent as much time exercising their obese pets as they do diving into the rabbit hole of misinformation in the minutiae of dog food on the internet. I would be willing to bet, they and their animals would experience much healthier, longer lived lives.

Garrison

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Vitamin K in Dog food - Dangerous?

Post by slistoe » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:12 pm

Garrison wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:49 am
Zero. Lots and lots of dogs living very long healthy productive lives on PPP (Menadione Sodium Bisulfate inclusive). Some of mine probably longer than they should.

If the majority of folks who frequent that site and the many like it spent as much time exercising their obese pets as they do diving into the rabbit hole of misinformation in the minutiae of dog food on the internet. I would be willing to bet, they and their animals would experience much healthier, longer lived lives.

Garrison
Great answer.