Most common pointing breed

Sureshotshane

Most common pointing breed

Post by Sureshotshane » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:20 pm

Hey folks,

I’m wondering what is the most common pointing dog breed in the United States and Canada? Defined by the number of dogs that are used for hunting and separately what about most common trial dog.

Secondly, what’s the most common you find in your area?

How has those figures changed from 10-20-30 years ago?

I’m not on the search for any dogs right now so this isn’t intended to be what you think the best dog is or ought to be for you or me or Harry.

I’m just curious because for example, in my area of California I see mostly GWPs, and GSPs. I almost never see someone hunting with a setter, but we aren’t your typical Eastern hardwood grouse forest. If I do see a setter out and about, usually they are non-hunters. I assume English Pointers are most common trial dog but in my experience I rarely see people with them but I don’t go to field trials.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Most common pointing breed

Post by cjhills » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:00 am

sureshot
Pretty sure in the Midwest and western states GSPs are by far the most popular. Probably outnumber all other breeds combined. Brittneys are fairly popular and some wirehairs, but we almost never see a Setter or Pointer in the field, even though we have some of the best setter breeders in the country. In sixty years of hunting western states I have only seen one pointer in the field.
Pointers and Setters seem much more popular in the South and east, where American Field field trials are more popular. probably going back to the days when quail hunting was huge and gentlemen owned Pointers. Setter seem to be the dog of choice in the eastern grouse woods but they are not real common in the Minnesota forests. Hunting over a really good setter is the best hunting experience you can get, but their are a lot more pretty good GSPs......Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:14 am

In Nebraska the most common hunting dog (pointing breed) is GSP. All the trials around here are mostly AKC so you don't see many pointers or setters running in them because most pointers and setters are registered American Field and run in American Field trials. In the AKC trials it is mostly GSP. AKC hunt tests in Nebraska are mostly GSP followed by Britts.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:34 am

Weimaraners by far!
What's that you say? Not the best looking but most common?
Well that is the GSP.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:55 pm

Have to agree on setters. I have never seen one out west when hunting. I was convinced the show people had bred the bird dog out of them. Got into NSTRA and find there are some fantastic small setters around. Here in So Cal GSP's dominate the field. Brittanys come in second.. AZ has lots of English pointers.
Last edited by oldbeek on Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:51 am

Here in Idaho GSP's are probably the most numerous and are followed by Britts. Although GWP's and Griffons are coming on strong.

birds

Post by birds » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:51 am

The fact that no one has seen a setter hunting in the west is great news! It means you guys don't know where I hunt 8) :D

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:42 am

birds wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:51 am
The fact that no one has seen a setter hunting in the west is great news! It means you guys don't know where I hunt 8) :D
I was thinking the same thing! 🤣 Is that a Dalmatian mix?

I think it’s because without exception all Pointers and Setters are runoff trial dogs.😉

Garrison

Willie T

Post by Willie T » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:46 am

The English pointer quail dog is alive and well here in Texas. Big running bird dogs that stand up to heat do well down here. Next most popular is probably German Shorthair Pointer and Britney Spaniel.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:09 pm

In most areas of the country, I think the GSP is number one and secondly the Brittany, as far as hunting dogs go.

In areas down South where there are plantations and quail, I believe there will be a large number of pointers and some setters.

In the grouse woods, there is an abundance of setters.

RayG

Going back to the 70's and 80's there were far more pointers in the field than there are today. Shorthairs and Brittanys were not very plentiful, at least not in my area. There were a fair number of setters during that timeframe, but there was a lot of hip dysplasia in the breed and I think that turned a bunch of hunters off to the shags.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:27 pm

Idaho, German Shorthairs by a mile, but I also see a lot of Labs that look like they are gun dog breeding (pointing Labs). I don't know if they are getting out into the field, but they are sure a lot of them riding around in pickup trucks. Since a lot of people hunt in this area, there is a pretty good chance the dogs hunt.

Since there are a lot of good Pudelpointer breeders in the PNW, I would expect to see Pudelpointers out in the field.

I just got a Epagneul Breton and hadn't even heard of the breed, but now I've got one, it is surprising how many people are hunting with them.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:11 am

Adding this: I never actually see anyone out hunting birds with a gun dog. I know what they are using because I see what they write on line, their photos, and the videos on you tube. Bird hunting isn't like fishing where you are lucky to shove your way into a two foot space on the banks of a salmon river and you see at least a dozen other boats if you are out on the water. Not to mention the long lines to use the boat launch.

The same as elk hunters. I know people who hunt elk, I see the photos, I see the trophies, I've received gifts of elk meat, I hear the stories. I've even seen a few hunting campsites at popular camping areas, but I've never actually seen a person hunting elk.

Where are you guys seeing dogs out hunting unless you are at a game farm or some sort of competition?

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:53 am

oregon woodsmoke wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:11 am
Adding this: I never actually see anyone out hunting birds with a gun dog. I know what they are using because I see what they write on line, their photos, and the videos on you tube. Bird hunting isn't like fishing where you are lucky to shove your way into a two foot space on the banks of a salmon river and you see at least a dozen other boats if you are out on the water. Not to mention the long lines to use the boat launch.

The same as elk hunters. I know people who hunt elk, I see the photos, I see the trophies, I've received gifts of elk meat, I hear the stories. I've even seen a few hunting campsites at popular camping areas, but I've never actually seen a person hunting elk.

Where are you guys seeing dogs out hunting unless you are at a game farm or some sort of competition?
I believe this is indeed the case for us, but we have access and the ability to get out and be in nature alone. The west and its abundance of public land is a very different program. I have hunted with family in Illinois many times and in South Dakota and it is much different, more of a communal/club experience. Very fun but very different. The day starts with coffee and a bunch BSing with fellow hunters who are waiting for their draw, guide or to talk with the farmer who owns the land. I’ve been let loose on one field with two other hunters and their dogs in Illinois on several occasions, it can get sporty. I’ll reiterate, fun but very different. I usually never see anybody hunting, unless I bring them out here.

Garrison