Breed/Breeder Advice

Gridiron and Grouse

Breed/Breeder Advice

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:34 pm

Hi Everybody:

I haven't posted here in years, but it was so helpful last time I did that I thought I would try again. I have spent the last 12 years doing a ton of upland hunting with a GSP and a Vizsla. This community helped me pick both the breed and the breeders. Unfortunately, early last week week we lost our 11 year old Vizsla, and our 12 year old GSP has pretty severe arthritis. This means we are now going to start looking for a puppy. I don't want to rush into anything, and this board was so helpful last time. I picked both my breed, and breeders through recommendations from this board.

I know that in many cases the breeder matters more than the breed, so i'm looking for any input on breeds or breeders. I'm now at a different point in my life and don't need a high octane, hard charging, tireless bird dog that can hunt 4 days a week. I have two kids, a 2 year old and a 3 year old, so i'm looking for a calmer (I know know bird dogs are "calm" haha) dog, that has to be good with kids, good with other dogs, and is on the smaller side of the breed standard. I would like to occasionally upland hunt with the dog (most grouse and occasionally) and train it to blood track.

I'm currently looking at GWPS, DDs, PPs, and GSPs. If anybody has any input on breeders that might be producing what I'm looking at or breed suggestions that would best fit what I'm looking for, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Steve007

Re: Breed/Breeder Advice

Post by Steve007 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:51 pm

You're in charge, but when you have two older dogs, it's easy to forget how wacky a younger dog is. Any of the dogs you name will knock down a two-year-old pretty easily by accident out of exuberance and keep on doing it. And I hear that little kids take a lot of time, so there may not be much left over for a young bird dog. Up to you, but you might consider waiting for a while. Or you might consider a middle-aged dog. Others here may be of a different opinion.

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:22 am

Seeing that you are in PA, you could look at Friedelsheim GSP's in Maryland. You would be hard pressed to find better GSP's anywhere. Vanguard Vizsla's and Dynata Vizsla's are both in Ohio and both turn out quality dogs. Against the Wind Vizsla's in Kentucky produces some nice gun dogs too and he breeds both PP and Vizsla's. Nice guy and a good person to talk with.

I have two Vizsla's and a GSP. Both are great around people but both like to run. Our GSP is a bit more high strung than our Vizsla's but that could just be our dog. Maybe consider getting a started dog and skip the puppy stage. Your older dogs would appreciate it.

Edit: I don't know any breeders that intentionally breed for size big or small. Obviously there is a range between dogs and within confirmation standards. Some lines are "blocky" compared to some others but they aren't necessarily bigger dogs. If I wanted a smaller hunting dog, I would also consider English Setters and Brittany's.
Last edited by Mosby on Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:40 am

I don't know of any breeders in the PA area, but my choice of the breeds listed would be a GWP or Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Great walking hunting dogs, friendly (almost to a fault) family dogs and they are just comical at times with their appearance and actions. Great retrievers both upland and water. I own an almost 2 yo female GWP, about 55 lbs. I also own a 12 yo male GWP/Lab cross that has been a great bird dog and a great family dog that grew up with two of my kids. He's about 65 lbs. I also own an old GSP that is now 14 yo. She too was a great bird dog part but far more hyper when she was in her prime. Just my 2 cents.

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:32 am

Thank you guys. I'm doing as much home work as possible. ANy additional thoughts or ideas are welcomed!

Willie T

Post by Willie T » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:21 pm

It sounds to me like you want a talented bird dog in the field but it needs an off switch and can be self aware around your children. That is reasonable but not as common as it is claimed. You need to find a breeder that prioritizes those attributes as well as field attributes. Oftentimes impulse control is overlooked to breed talent by breeders. You need to be willing to drive when you find what you are looking for. I own and hunt Pudelpointers which is one of the breeds on your short list. I have a six year old and a six month old puppy. The six year old Pudelpointer is from Bob Farris and cedarwood gundogs in Boise Idaho. He fits that description. Great upland dog with a superb nose, a lot of point, and big wheels. Strong retriever, water or land. Talented tracking dog that I use to blood track and recover whitetail deer. Level headed dog and a teddy bear in the house that flips the switch on and off. Bobs dogs are hard to get your hands on. Expect to have to wait for one of his puppies. If you are considering a Pudelpointer he would be someone to talk to about the breed and what you are looking for. Bob is one of the good ones and in my dealings with him, a very straight shooter with outstanding credentials. He takes pride in the fact his dogs are dynamic bird dogs that are also house dogs. One thing to know going in about a pudelpointer is they like the feel of fur in their mouth as much as they like birds. Trash breaking will take some diligent effort. If Bob does not have a puppy available that fits what you are looking for, it is possible he would advise you about upcoming litters from other NAPPA breeders from dogs that have produced what you are wanting.

Condolences on losing your viszla and good luck with your puppy search and choosing a breed and breeder.
Willie

jmez

Post by jmez » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:13 am

https://www.missouririverkennels.com/

Worth a look. Not close to you but they raise exactly what you are looking for. Nice, honest people without all the "puppy hoops" a lot of breeders want you to jump through nowadays.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:15 pm

Thank you all so much for the guidance!

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:41 pm

Take a careful look at the Epagneul Briton. A dual purpose house pet/ gundog.

Serious hunters who are out in the field and working the gun at a young age. Almost everyone who keeps them and hunts with them also has them as a beloved house pet and family dog.

Smaller than your Vizsla and works in closer, but can be successful with chukar as well as birds that you can get closer to. A friendly breed that loves people and kids and gets along well with other dogs. Not too demanding with the grooming. Mine, at least, is an easy keeper and I've not heard anyone complain otherwise. it doesn't hurt that they are pretty to look at.

Yes, they are gundogs and have a lot of energy, but it isn't crazy out of control energy. They need lots of exercise but once they are finished with teething, they aren't destructive in the house.