Moving stress on GSP

molotov_birddogs

Moving stress on GSP

Post by molotov_birddogs » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:46 pm

A
Last edited by molotov_birddogs on Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Garrison

Re: Moving stress on GSP

Post by Garrison » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:54 pm

I would be willing to bet it’s the thunder and not the move. I suggest you do what every school of psychology has proven to help mental well being in humans to a far greater extent than any drug available. Go get the dog some exercise, so it can focus its attention on something it loves to do. GSP’s can be real basket cases (I have one), especially when they are not exercised. Like 5-7 miles of pulling in a harness exercised, not a walk around the block. During the heat of summer we hit the water.

Garrison

molotov_birddogs

Post by molotov_birddogs » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:21 pm

Last edited by molotov_birddogs on Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:34 am

We could all come up with long lists of reasons why we can’t do anything but bubble wrap our dogs and not let them outside to be a dog and do dog stuff………It’s too hot mid day, it’s raining too much, we have too many rattle snakes, there are packs of coyotes howling in the back yard, there are fresh mountain lion tracks on the ground, the bears are out of hibernation, I don’t have the correct harness, etc. etc. etc.

Those that seem to sensibly figure out how to muster enough courage to make a routine of “letting go of the leash”, don’t often come here and ask questions about their dog’s neurotic behaviors and still have dogs that make it to ripe old ages.

Building a routine around regular outdoor activity/exercise is what you signed on for when you decided to own a highly energetic/athletic hunting breed. Our dog’s behaviors are 90% us and 10% them.

Garrison

molotov_birddogs

Post by molotov_birddogs » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:38 am

Garrison wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:34 am
We could all come up with long lists of reasons why we can’t do anything but bubble wrap our dogs and not let them outside to be a dog and do dog stuff………It’s too hot mid day, it’s raining too much, we have too many rattle snakes, there are packs of coyotes howling in the back yard, there are fresh mountain lion tracks on the ground, the bears are out of hibernation, I don’t have the correct harness, etc. etc. etc.

Those that seem to sensibly figure out how to muster enough courage to make a routine of “letting go of the leash”, don’t often come here and ask questions about their dog’s neurotic behaviors and still have dogs that make it to ripe old ages.

Building a routine around regular outdoor activity/exercise is what you signed on for when you decided to own a highly energetic/athletic hunting breed. Our dog’s behaviors are 90% us and 10% them.

Garrison

Interesting
This one made me think.

Hus schedule used to be centered around exercise in the morning then a mid morning training lesson, and a 20-45 min free run after 7pm.
I miss that schedule, there is a field down the road I'll start taking him to.

Thanks for that.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:00 pm

Dayla wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:38 am
Garrison wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:34 am

Garrison

Interesting
This one made me think.

Hus schedule used to be centered around exercise in the morning then a mid morning training lesson, and a 20-45 min free run after 7pm.
I miss that schedule, there is a field down the road I'll start taking him to.

Thanks for that.
👍🏻 One of my favorite parts of owning bird dogs is the routine of catching sun rises and sunsets. Doesn’t get much better than watching a well put together dog cover some ground in the field and getting my steps in at the same time. When that is not an option, some time on the bike with a good book in the ear buds is the next best thing.

Garrison