Registered Dog Name Help

Lkon81

Registered Dog Name Help

Post by Lkon81 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:45 pm

Need some help coming up with a good unique registered dog name. He’s a GSP. Call name is Ammo. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve007

Re: Registered Dog Name Help

Post by Steve007 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:15 pm

Where did you get him from? I will admit I always get dogs from recognized kennels or lines, but if your dog is from a recognizable background in the breed, you can probably get a starting point from the sire or from the kennel and then add on to that. For example, if your dog is descended from the "sharpshooter" line of GSP or from the kennel, it might be "Sharpshooter Winchester", based on his call name. Of course, you may may pick a different gun if that's what you shoot.

No need to make things up from scratch if your dog comes from a reputable background. If the breeder does have a kennel name, I would check first but there is little chance that they would not be happy to have you use the name.

Lkon81

Registered Dog Name Help

Post by Lkon81 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:30 pm

Top side is Uodibar & Hk’s
Bottom is Llano’s

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:31 am

I know that lots of folks go to great lengths(literally) with registered dog names. Many try to incorporate sire or dam lines in the name. I typically don't. When I enter a dog in a field event, I have to write the dog's registered name on the entry form and to me, less is better, especially when I am entering two or three dogs in multiple stakes, each of which requires a separate entry form to be filled out.

Years back I got two pups from Gunsmoke Kennels and when they closed, I got one more from a gent from down there who had the same breeding. I was given permission to use the Gunsmoke prefix on each of those dogs. so I did. I thought it was appropriate to give credit to the breeding kennel. Prior to that I had purchased two pups from Calico kennels, but they did not allow me to use the Calico prefix...so I didn't.

I moved to DE about 20 years ago and there is a countywide drainage system to move rainwater through to the west toward the Chesapeake bay. A main channel which is a few hundred yards from my place,is called the Tappahanna ditch. So I started registering my dogs with a Tappahanna prefix.

My current dogs are Tappahanna Cool Breeze(call name Breeze), Tappahanna Rocket Man(call name Rocky) and Tappahanna Ladybug(call name Lady...but sometimes she IS a BUG :P )

Easy peasy and there is no question as to which dog I am entering in what stake and whom the dogs belong.

Whatever works for you.

RayG

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:10 pm

This reminded me to send in the registration paperwork. The sire was from High Plains Drifter kennel so I went with HPD’s Whoa Nelly, we call her Nelly. Remember that name she’s gonna be famous some day