GSP Temper Tantrums

Ontariofella

GSP Temper Tantrums

Post by Ontariofella » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:08 pm

New gundog owner here. I have a 3mo old GSP and she's been pretty great so far!

My only issue is lately she's been throwing some pretty crazy temper tantrums. It's been happening about once per day for the past week, usually in the evening. She will bounce off all the furniture and attack everything in sight including me. I've tried everything to stop her from biting me but nothing is working. I've tried grabbing the scruff of her neck, bop on the nose, distracting with toys, folding gums onto teeth, ignoring her. I'm worried my frustration is building up and I don't want to get too harsh with her. Just curious how others would handle the situation.

Also, she gets plenty of exercise and mental stimulation every day so I wouldn't think she has much pent up energy. Is this just normal puppy stuff or is there something else going on here?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP Temper Tantrums

Post by slistoe » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:42 pm

Seems like normal puppy stuff with a dog with energy to burn.

There is no "too harsh" when dealing with biting. But reacting out of frustration or anger is real and something you want to avoid. She thinks this is a good game and whatever you are doing is considered part of the game to her.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:57 am

What Slistoe said. Biting is a big NO-NO and puppy or not, NONE should be allowed to do it. If the pup doesn't stop when you pinch his gums to his upper canines, you aren't doing it hard enough. You should be pinching hard enough for the pup to yelp when you do it. Some will then back off, give a growl and attack you again. Do it again to the pup. Persevere and never give up. The pup will eventually stop. Jumping up on furniture and tearing around the house are puppy things. They're a lot of fun but can be very frustrating. Keep in mind also that you're dealing with a German bred dog and they can be the most stubborn creatures on this planet. Have fun!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:31 am

You need to understand how the Canine world works.
Puppies are always working to improve their position in the pack. Puppy play is only part play. The rest is bullying the other puppies to try to gain control. The mother dog will tolerate a lot of bad behavior, but when she decides it is over, it is over. The discipline is as harsh as it takes to make her stop.
She has been with you long enough to be comfortable in your pack. She obviously does not see you as a leader and thinks the pack needs a leader. That is how canine pack animals have survived for 100s of years.
If possible, when she starts the running around, I would get her outside and let work off some steam.
If she attacks grab her by the scruff of the neck, snarl, shake her and hold her down. When she quits fighting let her up and walk away. If she comes at you again, do it harder, make her yelp. Harsh quick and over. Do not pick at her and try not to let your temper get out of control. She is not being stubborn or bad, she is trying to find her place in the world. Make sure you are capable of winning. She very well may to bite you. Be ready for that and make sure she knows it is not play. Don't worry she will like you know matter what you do.
Two things this has nothing to do with the breed. I have the sweetest little Daschundt in the world that tried to take over or house.
She didn't win. For me the lip on the teeth is too hard to do on a puppy that knows it is coming and takes too long.
Stay calm ..........Cj

Ontariofella

Post by Ontariofella » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:11 am

I appreciate the replies from everyone. It seems as though I need to toughen up a bit and lay the hammer down hard. I'll try these suggestions next time she gets out of hand. Thanks.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:22 am

If your timing is right and you are firm enough it will only take one or two times. Everybody that deals with her needs to be on board.........Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:36 pm

Such excellent posts above. I hope we appreciate the tremendous experience we get from many of our members. Thank you.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ontariofella

Post by Ontariofella » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:26 pm

The responses are MUCH appreciated! The information I've gotten from this forum is invaluable.

I've considered that she is acting out due to pent up energy, but as I mentioned before she gets plenty of exercise. I read on another post that puppies should get 5 minutes of exercise per month of age but that just doesn't seem realistic with her. Shes getting at least an hour of solid playtime per day right now. Is this too much? Too little?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:16 am

There might be some disparity between what you consider plenty of exercise, and what she thinks is plenty. It sounds like she needs more. What does your hour of playtime involve? If it's rolling a ball across the family room floor for her to chase, it's obviously not enough. If it's turning her out in the back yard to wander around and amuse herself, that won't do it either.

Try a long walk in the morning then another in the late afternoon. How you manage them depends on your situation - free running works very well if you live somewhere that can accommodate it otherwise a leashed walk where she can move out briskly and be allowed to sniff around and engage her brain has to do. Ideally, a shorter session midday could happen too.
You don't want to run her to exhaustion, that isn't good for her. Observe and when you see her starting to run out of steam turn back for home. You'll have to figure out a way that fits into your situation of time and space.

Bird dog pups require a big commitment of time and energy, some more than others, some for longer than others. And it can be a snowball rolling down hill; the fitter the dog is, the more exercise it will take to wear her out. Thankfully, most dogs find an off switch for in the house as they mature and don't need several sessions daily, or can manage with a couple shorter ones.

Try not to consider exercising your dog as a chore. Think of it as bonding time and understand that every minute you spend with her is also training time. It helps lot especially when you're really wanting to just park yourself in the recliner after work :P
Good luck. Enjoy that puppy - they grow up and grow old way too fast.

Ontariofella

Post by Ontariofella » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:47 am

shags wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:16 am
There might be some disparity between what you consider plenty of exercise, and what she thinks is plenty. It sounds like she needs more. What does your hour of playtime involve? If it's rolling a ball across the family room floor for her to chase, it's obviously not enough. If it's turning her out in the back yard to wander around and amuse herself, that won't do it either.

Try a long walk in the morning then another in the late afternoon. How you manage them depends on your situation - free running works very well if you live somewhere that can accommodate it otherwise a leashed walk where she can move out briskly and be allowed to sniff around and engage her brain has to do. Ideally, a shorter session midday could happen too.
You don't want to run her to exhaustion, that isn't good for her. Observe and when you see her starting to run out of steam turn back for home. You'll have to figure out a way that fits into your situation of time and space.

Bird dog pups require a big commitment of time and energy, some more than others, some for longer than others. And it can be a snowball rolling down hill; the fitter the dog is, the more exercise it will take to wear her out. Thankfully, most dogs find an off switch for in the house as they mature and don't need several sessions daily, or can manage with a couple shorter ones.

Try not to consider exercising your dog as a chore. Think of it as bonding time and understand that every minute you spend with her is also training time. It helps lot especially when you're really wanting to just park yourself in the recliner after work :P
Good luck. Enjoy that puppy - they grow up and grow old way too fast.
Thanks for the response! She normally gets a couple short sessions of fetch every day, along with a nice long walk on a check cord in the grouse woods. I live very close to some good grouse cover so she's been seeing at least a couple birds every day for the past couple weeks. Other than that she usually gets some living room playtime in the evening. I've been holding off on more exercise because I've heard people talk about how too much exercise at a young age can be bad for development, but maybe I should just read the dog and base it off her needs? She seems like she could easily get 5x the recommended amount of exercise haha

Again thanks for all the information from everyone. Forgive my ignorance, this is all really new to me.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:02 am

Shags post is absolutely right. It is not what you think is enough exercise, it what she needs.
You can do a lot of your training on these walks. Hopefully she can run free. If not at least a 20 Ft. check cord. I like to carry some treats for when I call her in. Most pups learn to come very fast. If you can, hide from her occasionally so she learns to keep track of you.
A three + month old pup should easily handle a free or check while you walk a couple miles, You both benefit. If you dee her getting tired put a leash on her. Pups are pretty good at knowing what they need......Cj

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:32 am

Sounds to me like you're giving her plenty of exercise and doing it just right. The next thing is, clamp down on her a bit in the house. I've lived with super high energy field trial dog's in my house for about 50 years now, maybe a bit more. I will put up with so much, because I kind of enjoy it, then that's it. I either kennel them or keep them on a 10' CC and don't let them tear around. The more you let them terrorize the house, the more they'll do it and they aren't as easy to stop at six months as they are now. I like to get a pup used to ACCEPTING discipline at a young age so it doesn't all come crashing down on him later. You'll thank me later.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:09 pm

We’ve been introducing my puppy to the rest of the house by moving the gates and letting her into more areas. She’s got the kitchen and living room as well as the dining room now. She’s been an absolute terror. Chewing everything she can get her mouth on, running off with shoes laundry etc. We are trying to just be consistent scold her and swap whatever she’s got for an approved item but it’s been a pretty frustrating week. Made me think of this conversation and chuckle. What I get for being a know it all I guess haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk