Dog collar

molotov_birddogs

Dog collar

Post by molotov_birddogs » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:07 pm

Hi, I know most of you are probably leather gurus but I have biothane collars on my shorthairs, one from Tractor Supply and another from Front Range Gun Dog. I've had them for about a year and the one feels like hard plastic now and the other is about falling apart from splitting (although that's mostly from play) and they both look very dried out. Is this common with biothane or am I missing a maintenance step?

Wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

Garrison

Re: Dog collar

Post by Garrison » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:32 pm

Order one from Gundogsupply.com, this site’s host. Good quality, comes with a name plate and great prices. Once full grown and barring any chewer kennel mates, one or two should last the lifetime of the dog.

Garrison

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:53 pm

I have never had that happen with the Biothane collars I've bought from Gun Dog Supply. The seem to last forever. You could also try their WigWag collars as they seem to be a little more flexible than the biothane.

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:16 pm

A quality American bridle leather, handsewn Pro Series collar will last the life time of your dog and cost about $20.

Yikes! What the heck is biothane?

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:19 pm

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:14 am

I had an earlier biothane that did what you said. Have one from Gundog Supply at least 2 years old and in looks good and pliable

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:37 pm

Leather stinks. Gundog Supply has the bomb. I believe mine is four years ole now and as goods as new. Get the name plate with it too with your cell phone # on it.

molotov_birddogs

Post by molotov_birddogs » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:07 pm

Well thanks everyone, I didn't expect to get so many replies!
The next collars I get I hope they'll last a lifetime.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:46 am

The membership here is eager to help, in a positive way. You couldn't find a better place for help imo.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:22 pm

Bodie and Squirt got leather collars made at a local saddle shop. Collars out lasted both of them. I've got leather collars on all four of my dogs now and they are going to be done before to much longer. Their next collars will come from a saddle maker. Whats biothane anyway?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:29 pm

Biothane is webbing coated with flexible plastic. Great stuff! It doesn't absorb odors - even skunk if not a direct hit - you can wipe it clean, it lasts a long time, and comes in a zillion colors.
There's also beta biothane, that has a matte finish and looks a bit more like leather.
You can make just about any strap goods out of it, like nice marking collars. I really like my horses' beta halter bridles, and asked a local Amish place to make some blaze orange halters for them; easy to find if they lose them in the pasture.