paint for kennel panels

birdogg42

paint for kennel panels

Post by birdogg42 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:44 am

i am repairing all of my welded wire panels.
i am going to repaint them all and i am researching what would be the best option to keep the rust at bay.
i know it will eventually rust. just looking to see what others have used. not going to use powder coat.

thanks

Garrison

Re: paint for kennel panels

Post by Garrison » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:56 am

I haven’t tried the process on kennel panels, but when I had a trailerable saltwater boat, I would hit the rusty areas with a wire brush, then with a rust dissolver like Naval Jelly and prep again and paint those sections with a cold galvanizing compound every few years. Yearly I would brush and touch it up with a rattle can of cold galvanizing compound. The trailer was from the 90’s and in much better shape than most at the launch ramp. RayG has made the recommendation here several times to get some schedule 80 PVC and make feet for the panels to get them up off the ground, where most of the urine and water are in contact. Good luck.

Garrison
A794FAED-C445-4021-AC2A-10AAF28CEFFF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RyanDoolittle

Re: paint for kennel panels

Post by RyanDoolittle » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:55 pm

birdogg42 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:44 am
i am repairing all of my welded wire panels.
i am going to repaint them all and i am researching what would be the best option to keep the rust at bay.
i know it will eventually rust. just looking to see what others have used. not going to use powder coat.

thanks
POR-15 will make your panels air tight, it's not cheap, but the stuff works amazing. It is not UV stable so once your done, spray it with U-Pol Raptor Liner. Once dry the Raptor Liner is food grade and if you want to get fancy, any autobody supply store can mix a urethane base tint so you can pour directly into the product. Spray Raptor onto concrete, metal, or wood, it's a great product.

Roll it, spray it, or dip in it. Raptor works amazing.

I used this combo on the front of my horse trailer and never saw rock chips after that.