Multipe devices tracking one dog collar?

HerringBone

Post by HerringBone » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:56 pm

I have a Garmin Pro 550 Plus. I love being able to see the distance and direction of the dog while hunting in the field. We hunt a lot of ravines and other areas where the dog can be out of direct line of sight, even if he isn't that far away.
Is there a way where my hunting partner and I can both have a device that can display the same dog's location? I know most handheld units are capable of handling multiple dog collars. But can a single collar be tracked by multiple devices at the same time?

The closest thing I have found is the Garmin Instinct watch which can show a similar arrow and distance display as the Pro 550 Plus by syncing to the handheld. But my understanding is the watch has to be in close bluetooth range to the handheld in order to work. If that's the case, it wouldn't be very helpful in my use case. Any one have experience or ideas?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Multipe devices tracking one dog collar?

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:45 am

The 200i will do it. Each person adds the dog's they want to track. Great unit.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:07 pm

Just having a linkable watch will only allow the other hunter to see collar information if he is within the bluetooth range of the Pro 550 Plus. He can't be very far away. So, you carrying the 550 and him wearing the watch will only work if you are very close together.

Yes, a single collar or multiple collars can be tracked by multiple receivers.
The Alpha handhelds will allow you to share dogs and other handheld locations with each other. Garmin shows all of the Alpha handhelds as compatible with the Pro 550 Plus. So, your least expensive route would be an Alpha 10, if buying new.
(see this video at the 5:25 mark) https://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-pro ... dheld.html

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:13 pm

BTW, I've upgraded to the Alpha 200i with Inreach satellite communications for my solo hunting and jeeping trips, and I'm selling my Alpha 100 system.

Let me know if you have any interest in my Alpha 100. It's in excellent condition with new batteries, original packaging and accessories. I'm about to put it on ebay.

HerringBone

Post by HerringBone » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:12 pm

It sounds like any alpha unit may be able to connect to the collar while the 550 is also connected. That would be nice.

I was just looking into the satellite emergency messenger devices. Now I have even more to consider.

Thanks for the feedback.

Willie T

Post by Willie T » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:21 pm

The Alpha or the Astro 430 will do what you want.

PeteGray97504

Post by PeteGray97504 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:42 pm

I often have 2 sometimes 3 devices tracking the same collar.
Pro550+. an Alpha100 and my watch.
I run the 550 and my watch, my wife runs the Alpha100. We both can track and correct both our dogs at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerringBone

Post by HerringBone » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:31 am

Thanks for the feedback here.
I ultimately went with a used Alpha 200i because I also wanted emergency satellite messenger abilities, so that saved needing to get another device. I am able to track the one dog collar with both the Pro 500+ and the Alpha 200i at the same time, which is great. For a minute I thought I might be able to track the location of the Pro 550+ handheld on the Alpha 200i as well, but no luck there. I even asked Garmin about it and they said it won't work. That would have been an added bonus, but not mission critical.

As a data nerd, I like having the stats from a hunt like the distance the dog traveled and distance the handheld traveled. But I've been surprised by how much I prefer the Pro 550+ overall. It's just so simple to glance down and see the arrow and distance. You're never on the wrong screen, never push a wrong button, the screen doesn't time out, etc. It's idiot proof and reliable.

clbrown23

Post by clbrown23 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:16 pm

good information here, thanks