Westminster kennel club

Steve007

Westminster kennel club

Post by Steve007 » Thu May 11, 2023 3:04 pm

I doubt that many people here watched Westminster Kennel Club dog show Monday and Tuesday -- alas, not everybody has a good background in conformation -- but it is worth noting that the English Setter that won The Sporting Group had a call name of "Cider." Some may recall that Corey Ford, sporting dog writer of great renown, had an English Setter by that name about whom he wrote extensively. This particular dog did have a JH title and her litter sister is within one point finishing her dual championship (the 20th ES to achieve this), so it is likely that the dog was named after Corey Ford's dog.

The highest percentage of dual champions is to be found in German Wirehaired Pointers and the actual number is -- I think-- highest in Brittanys.

Some breeds of course have a strong breed split, and others less so. I actually think this is good, as it provides more variety in the breed. So long as people do some research and know what they're getting, it has strong positives. Of course if you don't "do your homework", there is likely to be a problem but that's true for any dog.

If anybody lives close enough to get to Westminster in NY -- or the International KC in Chicago-- you should go. Unlike other shows these days, dogs are "benched' -- that is, kept in an area somewhat larger than a crate in an aisle allocated to each breed -- for the entire two or three days of the show and the owners are happy to talk with you. The rarest breeds imaginable are on display in numbers much greater than you would see any other circumstances and, as mentioned, the owners are generally pleased to discuss them. I have been there quite a few times. It's extremely worthwhile for spectators.

As a sub comment, lest anyone think of me as a "show" person, I have had FC, MH, UD (highest obedience title) and show champions. I have learned from each sport.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Westminster kennel club

Post by Sharon » Fri May 12, 2023 9:01 am

Excellent post. Thank you.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Thu May 18, 2023 10:22 pm

I think dogs are made in the field and not the show ring.

There is a large conformation difference in breeds across North America simply because of the type of hunting required from the dog.

A dog that needs to hunt the dense wood of Rhode Island is different than one that needs to hunt the chukar hills of Idaho, and those are different than what's needed to run the prairies of Alberta or Saskatchewan.

So who is right? Well they all are.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri May 19, 2023 11:27 am

RyanDoolittle wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:22 pm
I think dogs are made in the field and not the show ring.

There is a large conformation difference in breeds across North America simply because of the type of hunting required from the dog.

A dog that needs to hunt the dense wood of Rhode Island is different than one that needs to hunt the chukar hills of Idaho, and those are different than what's needed to run the prairies of Alberta or Saskatchewan.

So who is right? Well they all are.
I agree with much of that, but 5X Champion / 5X Runner-up Champion Northwoods Charles who’s western win list is extensive, Mauck’s Wyeast Owyhee Dalee who won runner-up in three all age horseback championships including the California Quail Championship, and Tian Elhew Verbena runner-up champion In the Pacific Coast All Age Championship may not support some of your theory. All born and bred in, and from dogs of the grouse woods. All making their mark in “chukar country”.

Naturally grouse hunters seem to think they are the toughest quarry in the land, in the south, Mr. Bob is the king of all birds, in the west no country but chukar country can make a real dog, of course mountain quail is truly the ultimate prize of prizes, a trial dog can’t foot hunt and a NAVHDA dog can’t really hunt big enough in the uplands etc. etc. Good dogs adapt and most are much better than we are at any of it.

Garrison