Introducing a 3rd Dog

Taylor_B

Introducing a 3rd Dog

Post by Taylor_B » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:04 am

Hi all -
My husband and I were recently presented with an opportunity to add another dog to our family. We presently have two family/hunting dogs: a 9-year-old Labrador/Weimaraner mix and an 8-year-old English Setter. Both are still in good health (Thank God!) and actively hunt with us come the Western PA pheasant season. We also have 3 children who both enjoy and respect dogs and are comfortable around larger, rambunctious breeds.

A local hunt club recently sent out a memo to members about a family that is in need of rehoming their newly 1-year-old Slovakian Rough Coated Pointer due to owner health issues. After doing some research on the breed, it seems to be one that we would enjoy. I've been thinking for some time that it's time for us to add another bird dog to the mix as ours are getting older and, while in good health right now, they're reaching those ages where things can come up. Our oldest has endured a TPLO repair on a CCL and still hunts but she may require shorter stints in the field as she has some lingering discomfort from the hardware after long days putting up birds.

My question here is what's the best way to introduce a 3rd dog to an existing two-dog home?
He's just over a year old, neutered, and the owners said he's still very much got that puppy personality and "doesn't have a mean bone in his body." Our oldest dog is certainly a dominant female. She's spayed, but she makes it known when she first meets another dog that she's in charge (a little growly, a little pushy, but after she's got her point across, she's usually fine with it). Often her biggest issue has been with other dominant female dogs. Our Setter is somewhat aloof. He'll say hello to other dogs but often ignores them as he's just much more interested in what's going on outside (his "bird" brain literally never stops...).

I've been told that going from a 2-dog household to 3 can create a good bit of bickering between them. I was just curious about what the best approach is from folks who have done this...If there are any red flags we should watch for during the initial introduction at the "meet and greet" between them? What the best form of introduction might be?

Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks!

Dakotazeb

Re: Introducing a 3rd Dog

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:52 pm

Very interesting breed. Not many of them around. From what I've read they are a relatively new breed, developed in the 1950's. They have Weimaraner in their background and the breed is either gray or gray roan. Here is a link for information on the breed for those not familiar with it.

https://gundogcentral.com/hunting-dog-b ... d-Pointers

Since you have two dogs already I wouldn't be too concerned about introducing a 3rd dog. Take it easy, let them socialize together and they should be fine. Good luck and please post some pics for us. Sure would be interested in hearing in the future how this dog is doing.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:32 pm

I have done this before back in my breeding days; most breeders have had to take adult dogs back for various reasons not having to do with the dog. A buyer's wife turns up pregnant and the idea of having a young dog and a new baby at the same time means the young dog is returned.

In any case, I generally make a point of introducing them separately, and I generally keep the new dog from interacting with both at one time until the new dog is getting along reasonably well with both individually. It is easy to say "they'll get along" but two dogs make a small pack and reducing the chance of two-on-one resistance to a newcomer makes sense. Make sure they get along one on one with both first, and obviously don't give them alone together until you're persuaded this is the case. If you can do this gradually over several days-- depending on whether you have room to keep the new dog separate for a little-- it's probably a good idea. -A year-old puppy is not likely to cause any difficulties, especially in a new setting, though.

Taylor_B

Post by Taylor_B » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:20 am

Thank you guys for the insight. I do appreciate it.
We're gonna go meet with him on Sunday for introductions to the dogs and the kids.
If he seems like a pretty friendly pup, we are considering adding him to the family. A little stressful for sure, but could be a great opportunity at what I'm reading might be a really unique breed. So we shall see! If we do end up deciding to make him our own, I will certainly post a followup!
THank you!