GSP Breeders

wihunter

GSP Breeders

Post by wihunter » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:09 pm

Hey everyone,
I came to this forum with training help and breed selection help in the past, can’t remember my account information(previous name was northwoodshunter) so had to create a new profile. Last time I was choose a pup I got many many great recommendations from this forum for breeders and it led me to picking a pup that ended up being great.
I did some testing with him(wish I kept going and still may re run his UT) and he had decent scores. Did his UT at 1.5 yo and got prize 2. For lack of better term, his puppy side came out on the test and I never re ran him. At this point (4.5 yo) I believe he would easily pass a UT 1 and MH level tests no problem.
I am currently diving into breeders for another gsp pup. Unfortunately I can not get one from Dankar again as they retired. I have learned a lot over the years from them. I will be looking to get a pup in 1-2 years as I currently travel a lot for work at 24 years old and can not commit to another, especially a pup until I can get that travel time knocked way down. I will be looking to do NAVHDA and AKC testing with the dog and would like to take it further than I did with my current. I will also like to field goose hunt with the dog as I have gotten into that big time along with the grouse/pheasant hunting(hopefully Montana sharp tails in the coming years).
Currently I have somewhat looked into and will be contacting Carey at Grouse Point and Clyde at Sharpshooter. I already talk to Chad and crew at Willow Creek as I have been bringing the dog there the past year-2 off and on sometimes when I go out of town as I believe the dog enjoys being worked on birds everyday vs being a couch dog with my parents when I’m out of town if he can’t come with me.
I am open to other suggestions as always for other breeders. I would prefer to be able to get full registration vs limited but that is by no means a driving factor or requirement.

Thanks! And thanks again to all that were on here when helping choose a breeder for my current dog, it turned out great thanks to you all!
Last edited by wihunter on Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mosby

Re: GSP Breeders

Post by Mosby » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:06 am

There is a small GSP kennel in MN that has Grouse Point, Sharp Shooter lines.

https://www.chrestkennels.com/

jmez

Post by jmez » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:27 pm

Standing Stone Kennel in KS.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:11 pm

Another kennel to look at is Odyssey Kennels in Missouri. They produce some outstanding GSP's.

https://www.odysseygsp.net

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:17 am

Wihunter:
Most all of these breeders go with pretty close to the same bloodlines. In fact, unless they are bigtime trialers, This is what midwest breeders breed.
They are the best lines for hunting the local birds and generally make the best family hunt bird dogs,
I have know most of them for a lot of years and used their do in my breeding program and vice
versa.
My first pick would be Odessey, they might have a little more run, they do breed dual champions and they don't breed a lot of litters. Last one I bought was very reasonably priced.
Second would be Standing Stone, probably a better chance of getting a puppy from them. The Pippets are good people.
some of these breeders are very overpriced. Maybe that is not a concern, but compare pedigrees to make sure you are not paying twice the money for the same bloodlines.
There is a small breeder in near Pierz, Minnesota who is breeding nice dogs,
Rolling Prairie Kennels. RPK Shorthairs I think.........Cj

wihunter

Post by wihunter » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 am

Thanks for the replies so far.

CJ, have you heard of PrimeTime Kennels/PrimeTime Gundogs in Ohio? Was referred to them also by someone I know personally. They seem to use a lot of Garbonita lines, which is what my currents Gsps sire is. Seems to have very good results in navhda and akc mh.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:33 pm

I'm a Brittany guy but, I have seen both Standing Stone's & Odessey's GSPs. I have ran in, judged, and put on hunt tests where I have seen Standing Stone GSPs--they are very nice, easily handled dogs, dogs that find birds. They are more easily handled by new and part time trainers(IMO).
I have also seen Chuck's Paretti's(sp) Odessey's GSPs in field trials and hunt tests--they in my opinion are a little more high power GSPs that takes a more talented trainer to control - they find birds, are dual type, hard charging dogs, that to me need an experienced trainer(JMO). They are both good kennels. If I was a shorthair guy I'd be happy with a pup from either of these two kennels. Good luck finding your new GSP :D

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:26 pm

I don't think I know of them.
I really like the Garbonita dogs. We had a couple.
It was a few years back, but I think they were show quality dogs that hunt.
My last master titled dog was dog was titled in 2012. My last run with him was we were braced with Dan's
dog who was sired by Odyssey Fritz. Surprised they retired, but I guess we all got older.
The breeder i mentioned in Pierz web site is RPP. The female named Stella is a dog I bred.
HE will have puppies sometime in 24.....Cj

wihunter

Post by wihunter » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:50 pm

Yes, looking at the Garbonita lines I see that they continue to also show their dogs as well as title them in the MH and Navhda systems. The only Garbonita dogs I’ve been around is the litter my dog is out of and they all started early and have been doing great. I have been seeing a lot of dogs bred out of a few of their stud lines that throw really nice pups. The breeder I mentioned above seems to have nice ones, they don’t have a website but have a Facebook and in their pictures has their most recent breedings pedigree. The main 2 females would be out of tell who is my current dogs sire, one his daughter and then one from one of that dams litters. Seem to be passing UT and into the IT at young ages from the lines he’s running. Have seen a lot of Tells lines developing well young.
I’ve never been around the odyssey or stand stone dogs. I looked into standing stone some and having only the pedigree to go off of it seemed like most of their studs and dams have low scores on NA and UT tests across the board. Obviously that can be various reasons and small things that went wrong in those tests and never re tested or whatever it be. Honestly standing stone would be a little far to go unless those dogs are typically far better than what I can get out of the Midwest. Not sure if you think that as being true or not? I’d PM you the pedigree of the recent litter from Primetime with the Garbonita lines to see what you think about it but it doesn’t let me message cause I had to make a new account.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:55 am

After 5 approved posts, you can message freely. This is to avoid spam.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

wihunter

Post by wihunter » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:52 pm

Thanks for info Sharon I figured there was something to do with that

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:21 pm

wihunter wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:09 pm
Hey everyone,
I came to this forum with training help and breed selection help in the past, can’t remember my account information(previous name was northwoodshunter) so had to create a new profile. Last time I was choose a pup I got many many great recommendations from this forum for breeders and it led me to picking a pup that ended up being great.
I did some testing with him(wish I kept going and still may re run his UT) and he had decent scores. Did his UT at 1.5 yo and got prize 2. For lack of better term, his puppy side came out on the test and I never re ran him. At this point (4.5 yo) I believe he would easily pass a UT 1 and MH level tests no problem.
I am currently diving into breeders for another gsp pup. Unfortunately I can not get one from Dankar again as they retired. I have learned a lot over the years from them. I will be looking to get a pup in 1-2 years as I currently travel a lot for work at 24 years old and can not commit to another, especially a pup until I can get that travel time knocked way down. I will be looking to do NAVHDA and AKC testing with the dog and would like to take it further than I did with my current. I will also like to field goose hunt with the dog as I have gotten into that big time along with the grouse/pheasant hunting(hopefully Montana sharp tails in the coming years).
Currently I have somewhat looked into and will be contacting Carey at Grouse Point and Clyde at Sharpshooter. I already talk to Chad and crew at Willow Creek as I have been bringing the dog there the past year-2 off and on sometimes when I go out of town as I believe the dog enjoys being worked on birds everyday vs being a couch dog with my parents when I’m out of town if he can’t come with me.
I am open to other suggestions as always for other breeders. I would prefer to be able to get full registration vs limited but that is by no means a driving factor or requirement.

Thanks! And thanks again to all that were on here when helping choose a breeder for my current dog, it turned out great thanks to you all!
If you are near Wisconsin you might try http://www.hurricanegsps.com/. I think several of their dogs ran in this year's Invitational and had 3 passes. Another kennel is Thunderhead GSP. Lot of Shooting Star in their lineage.

cr

TheMorningRise

Post by TheMorningRise » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:25 pm

Reviving this as I have been away for a looooong time.

If you haven't picked up a pup yet (or for future knowledge), check out Dem Feuerhaus Gundogs in Hondo, TX.

Renay knows what she is doing!

I didn't know her from Adam. I was looking to add another GSP (one that I was looking to start our breeding program with) and found her on page 13, 15, or 20 of Google one day. From the on set, we clicked. It was obvious that she knew her stuff, she knew GSP's, she knew GSP lines and she was passionate.

Long story short, I picked Gia up last February. She is now 13 months. In her first year, she scored 104/112 in NA ("bleep" tracking got her) at 6 months and picked up her JH at 9.5 months. Her first hunting season was SOLID.
Gia's NA Test July 2023.jpg
Gia Training Days 39.jpg
Gia JH.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.