Conformation.......

TheMorningRise

Conformation.......

Post by TheMorningRise » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:29 pm

Anyone on the boards run Conformation shows?

Looking at entering my first one next month.

NEVER thought about doing them. However, after all of the compliments I've received on the youngest (from people who show), I figured I would give it a shot.

I'm going to be a fish out of water! :D

Gia "Shark"........
Gia Training Days 52.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Conformation.......

Post by slistoe » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:13 pm

I have shown two dogs to a CH and put points on many others. Enjoy the ride.

TheMorningRise

Post by TheMorningRise » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:23 pm

slistoe wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:13 pm

Any suggestions for the first go?

She heels well. Her stride is nice. We are working on a seamless stacking flow.

Not really sure what else there may be.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:42 pm

TheMorningRise wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:23 pm
slistoe wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:13 pm

Any suggestions for the first go?

She heels well. Her stride is nice. We are working on a seamless stacking flow.

Not really sure what else there may be.
Take a look at some of the videos on YouTube for your breed, buy some books and contact the local conformation club. They will probably have some classes. She is not supposed to heel. She is supposed to move in a straight line and get out in front of you. It is a very interesting sport and if you get involved, you will learn a great deal about conformation.

After you have shown, don't go home. Put your dog in a crate (check back frequently to make sure she is quiet) and spend time watching the handlers of similar breeds.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:59 pm

Be sure your dog will accept inspection from a stranger - lifting jowls to view teeth, hands down body, etc. Dog needs to move in a free flowing extended trot in a straight line - judge wants to see motion in side view and coming and going. The last thing is stacking - look at pictures of the winning dogs and how they are posed in a "stack" - practice with your dog in setting it up in that pose and holding it while looking confident, alert and happy.

Best if you can attend a show and watch the dogs and handlers.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:14 am

That is a beautiful picture. Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:49 am

morningrise -

That is an impressive looking shorthair. Be advised that I DO NOT to conformation events, just hunt and field trial with pointers. However, I will say that I certainly wouldn't mind watching your dog in the field. Based on what little I have seen of conformation show shorthairs, they are not built very much different from field dogs... maybe a little less chesty and a little "sleeker".

I see a nice deep chest, down to the first joint of the front legs, that is also nice and wide. Plenty of lung capacity. Nice tuck up behind the chest and plenty of well defined musculature on the back end.Nice stature, but can't see the feet to evaluate how tight the paws are. Those are things I would want to see in a horseback shooting dog or all age shorthair.

I would make sure the bite is perfect and that the dog will allow and not react to someone else handling it as others have said. I would also go to a clinic, or contact someone who shows sporting dogs professionally to get a lesson or two. There are always little details that can make a difference in presentation that do not show up on youtube and such. Find out what kind of lead is preferred and practice the walk and stacking the dog, preferably in an indoor setting, which will probably be strange to the dog. Also, expose the dog to crowds, if possible and encourage them to be calm, but bold and self assured in such a situation.

I am sure there is an AKC GSP club somewhere in your area. If not, there will be a Brittany or some other sporting dog club. Check the AKC website for clubs in your area, and reach out to them. You could also check the AKC searchable database for conformation judges in your state and reach out for advise.

Regardless, have fun showing your dog and make sure the dog is having fun also. It is always a good thing to have something different to do with your dog. You both will be better for it.

RayG

TheMorningRise

Post by TheMorningRise » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:32 pm

Appreciate all of the kind words!

I’m thinking of entering her in the Specialties at the big Madison, Wisconsin show in February. I’ll be a fish out of water. But, if you’re gonna jump, jump off a cliff. Not the couch.

This dog was purchased to be a; hunting, hunt test, field trial dog. Never thought I’d ever conformation. However, at hunt tests this past year, too many said how good she looks so I figured why not give one or two shows a shot.

Her mom was imported for the Czech and holds European titles. Her sire earned his NAVHDA VC last year. He also holds AKC MH RDX and some others.

This pup, Gia, earned a 104 NAVHDA NA score. Missed prize 1 because of tracking but she proved her tracking abilities this hunting season. She also earned her JH at 9.5 months. Took 5 runs. She never found a bird on one run. She had a heck of a first year so why not try conformation.

A few images of her……..
training days 5.jpeg
gia's first hunt 16.jpeg
IMG_7954.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.