Does anyone hunt fur with their DK or GSP?

bondoron

Does anyone hunt fur with their DK or GSP?

Post by bondoron » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:10 pm

I am picking up a DK in a couple of months. I have been doing alot of research on them and I really like the idea of hunting fur with him. I guess I am just kinda curious as to how you train a pup for fur and birds the same time.

Texrab

Post by Texrab » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:50 pm

What litter is your pup coming from?

As far as the fur training I treat it the same as birds. The dog should point but if she flushes a rabbit I'll shoot it where as if she flushes a bird without me I'll let it fly off unless I flush it. This may not be the right way of doing things but It is how I do it.

bondoron

Post by bondoron » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. The pup I am getting is from vom KELJER (D) litter.

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:13 pm

My suggestion is that, apart from some retrieve training, you hunt your pup on birds first before you use pup to hunt and point fur.
I know rabbits are very stimulating for a dog and pups can gravitate toward hunting for them to the detriment of their bird work if you aren't careful.

bondoron

Post by bondoron » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:08 pm

Thanks for the reply Margaret. From all the input I am getting I will just push the birds and worry about the fur when he gets steady on the birds. I will start the fur retreiving earlier though once I FF.

Stump

Post by Stump » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:56 am

Margaret wrote:My suggestion is that, apart from some retrieve training, you hunt your pup on birds first before you use pup to hunt and point fur.
I know rabbits are very stimulating for a dog and pups can gravitate toward hunting for them to the detriment of their bird work if you aren't careful.
This Much I do know I had a lab that hunted phesants with the best of them then one day I took him on a rabbit hunt with my buddys beagles The dog never put up another bird but he was one heck of a rabbit dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:40 am

I hunted both with my Brits for yearsand never had a problem. I always started them on birds and didn't shoot rabbits till their second year.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:13 am

In the German trials, they have to track a rabbit instead of a bird. It seems that most of these versatile breeds just pick it up naturally. Mine points rabbits, but I don't let her chase them. Same with deer. She'll point a deer.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.