My Pigeon Bordello

Casper

My Pigeon Bordello

Post by Casper » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:09 pm

Over the last 3 years this has been an ongoing project. I think I have remodeled my pigeon coop more times than my house will ever see. Learnign things the hard way sometimes is the only way.

It started out as just an 8x8x8 box and 8 birds. I had the birght idea that they would be fine in that box but it got to hot durring the summer. Go figure. So I added the aviary on the front so they could get some sun and see there surroundings. I also had the bright idea that it would be easy to catch the birds if I flushed them into this aviary so I installed a door on the loft side and a door on the out side of the aviary. This same door is how I figured out that 2 of my birds had settled into my loft as one day someone thought it would be cool to "FREE" my birds from captivity :roll: Little did they know that they come back, all except 2. Well my brilliance proved my stupidity when I could not get them in to the aviary come time to go trian.This took me approximatly 3 weeks to build.

As they began to multiply this 4 foot aviary was getting a bit to small. So I added the side part. This was a design that a fancier in the Reno area had come up with. Only real difference is mine isnt as tall and I didnt build nesting boxes in the back. He had backed his lofts with plywood and built his boxes back there. It was cheap and easy to build. This is what I originally should have built.

On the inside I had only had the 3 breeding pairs so I utlized 5 gallon buckets for nesting boxes. Only 2 buckets were used as the other pair laid on the floor. This sufficed untill I brought home 30'some birds from the fancier in Reno. So I was forced into building better nesting boxes. A carpenter could have built this in a couple hours and it took me ALL DAY. But I am dang proud of my workmanship.

The perches took me several hours to build and I am still not done with them. I have about another dozen I want to build

AceofSpades41

Post by AceofSpades41 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:37 pm

Dang Casper,

That's one sweet setup. Do you raise them for hunting only or do you race them. :D

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:09 am

Very nice Casper. 8)

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:18 am

Wow! that looks more like a pigeon resort! :) ...........markerdown
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.

RSNK61

Post by RSNK61 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:39 am

That is a nice build you should be proud

Mark I think something like that would fit nicely in your backyard...lol

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:23 am

Very nice!

Two questions:
1. How big are your nesting boxes?

2. Do you use nesting bowls?

Rut

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:03 pm

Look at all that room! Can't do that in souhthern nevada without neighbors complaining. We're all shoe-horned in here pretty tight! .............markerdown
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:25 pm

Rut, The nest boxes are 12" x 18"

I have nesting bowls and will put them in there when they lay there next set of eggs. I probably dont need them but I have them so I will use them. I just threw some grass hay in there hoping that might help stimulate the birds to get to laying. Bird really liked the nesting boxes and couldnt wait for me to finish them before they started doing there courting on the shelfs.

Markerdown, if you build one like teh side part of mine they are nice for the simple fact they are not to knowticeable and they back up to a fence. They are really cheap to build. Build one 10' long 5' deap and 5' high and nesting boxes like mine in the back and your in buisness. Actually 5' x 5' would be enough for a dozen birds.

No racing for me. I am just trying to get a decent supply available so when people start looking for training help and/or birds that they have someone to go to as there isnt anyone in my area that has a supply of birds available.

Everytime I meet someone that has just gotten their first bird dog the only thing they are concerned about is gettign their dog gun broke :roll: and killing birds :roll: cause dontcha know killing birds is dog training :roll: We dont have a good supply of wild birds here any more and you can only catch so many pigeons. So if they know where to go to get birds than there may not be so many washed out puppies that are now "gunshy" :(