English pointer lines

3forme

English pointer lines

Post by 3forme » Mon May 28, 2007 12:30 pm

Am going to start a search for English Pointer pup to be used as a foot hunting gundog and most likely walking trials, retrieving,swimming, and sound temperament are all a must. I am not looking for a dog that needs a tracking collar to find. Temperament is very important as well what lines should I start looking at and which should I steer clear of. I have also dropped a post or two in classified area looking for a field trial washout but it would have to be a super dog with the only fault being a range not suitable for horseback. Also what should I expect to pay for a nice EP pup with good guarantee and sound breeding?

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Mon May 28, 2007 12:42 pm

There are a number of very fine foot hunting Pointer breeders. Here are two that I like:

I have purchased several dogs from these folks over many years. Every pup I recieved was excellent. They are very reasonably priced and I highly recommend them as breeders of foot hunting Pointers. Also, every pup that I received has been a natural retriever as well.
http://www.yellowrosekennel.com

This is another fine kennel that I have some experience with and have heard very nice things about.
http://www.bodarckennel.com

I would avoid AA FT lines and look for breeders that specialize in foot hunting lines. Elhew, Fiddler lines typically produce very biddable dogs.

bondoron

Re: English pointer lines

Post by bondoron » Mon May 28, 2007 2:36 pm

3forme wrote:Am going to start a search for English Pointer pup to be used as a foot hunting gundog and most likely walking trials, retrieving,swimming, and sound temperament are all a must. I am not looking for a dog that needs a tracking collar to find. Temperament is very important as well what lines should I start looking at and which should I steer clear of. I have also dropped a post or two in classified area looking for a field trial washout but it would have to be a super dog with the only fault being a range not suitable for horseback. Also what should I expect to pay for a nice EP pup with good guarantee and sound breeding?

English Pointer that retrieves, swims, and doesn't range out a 1/2 mile? Sounds like a fairy tale. J/K Ross. :lol: :lol:

3forme

Post by 3forme » Mon May 28, 2007 2:40 pm

What can anyone tell me about black crude lines?

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Tue May 29, 2007 7:57 am

Yawallac wrote:There are a number of very fine foot hunting Pointer breeders. Here are two that I like:

I have purchased several dogs from these folks over many years. Every pup I recieved was excellent. They are very reasonably priced and I highly recommend them as breeders of foot hunting Pointers. Also, every pup that I received has been a natural retriever as well.
http://www.yellowrosekennel.com

This is another fine kennel that I have some experience with and have heard very nice things about.
http://www.bodarckennel.com

I would avoid AA FT lines and look for breeders that specialize in foot hunting lines. Elhew, Fiddler lines typically produce very biddable dogs.
Absolutely correct...but don't forget Pinehill Kennels

I am curious about the swimming though...these dogs will all retrieve, but they wouldn't be my choice for waterfowling. Getting a swimming retriever in a Pointer is hit or miss.

I'm not too familiar with pups from the Black Crude family, but I believe those dogs are extremely stylish, but may have more run than what you want at this stage of the game.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Tue May 29, 2007 8:21 am

Check out HiFive Kennels. They have several breeding coming up which will be out of some of the best grouse dogs in the country.

http://www.hifivekennels.com/
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue May 29, 2007 10:25 am

Absolutely correct...but don't forget Pinehill Kennels
Gee wiz!! You're right, GREAT KENNEL!!
I am curious about the swimming though...these dogs will all retrieve, but they wouldn't be my choice for waterfowling. Getting a swimming retriever in a Pointer is hit or miss.
Hmmmmmm. :D

Singleshot

Pups

Post by Singleshot » Tue May 29, 2007 12:41 pm

As far as pointers not being water dogs, the following picture is of a male dog that is a son of my Elhew McDougal. McDougal throws plenty of sense, good noses, style and trainability in his pups. Very nice walking shooting dogs.

CHANCE RETRIEVING A BUMPER

Followed are two pups out of him that I am working now that were born around the start of January. Very nice young dogs that are pointing with great style.

DOUG

MAC

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue May 29, 2007 12:45 pm

singleshot,

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

So, the secret is out! I am not the only one that has Pointer water dogs!!

Absolutely gorgeous pups!

Are those the two pups for sale on your web site for $600.00?? That's a bargain!