Large Litter (14) Need Advice

lowcountrylab

Large Litter (14) Need Advice

Post by lowcountrylab » Wed May 30, 2007 12:33 pm

My lab had a litter of 14 yesterday. One was stillborn, but we have
13 alive and kicking. This is my first large litter. Right now I am rotating
the pups out every hour and giving my girl a 30 minute repreive. The vet says if the pups seem to be nursing just keep rotating, if not may need to supplement, but try not to.
So, all you familiar with this, please give me some advise. I can handle 5, 6, even 8- but wow 13.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed May 30, 2007 1:27 pm

As long as the pups are nursing you should be fine...keep a close eye
Biggest time is supplement Momma

Give her the supplements and be sure she is drinking plenty of water
I about twice a day would add about 1/4 cup swanson chicken broth to 2 cups water the more fluids she has in her sytem the more milk she will be able to make

I would also add some 1st stage infant powdered formula I use the Parents choice with DHA and DRA from wally world milk based to her dry food..for the added mineral and such she will need or even ask your vet what he would reccomend or show him the label I did that withmy vet ...he thought it was a great idea do the same for my pups
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

lowcountrylab

Post by lowcountrylab » Thu May 31, 2007 6:54 am

Thank you for your advice. I added some of the puppy supplement to her food last night since I had a few cans just in case. The pups seem to be doing fine. I am weighing them on a food scale and they are all gaining. Will get some Chicken Broth today and look into the formula.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu May 31, 2007 7:03 am

Oh PS get the low sodium...if possible

many of the swanson chicken broth comes in cartons..it also comes i big cans
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Theresa

CongRATS on your new litter!

Post by Theresa » Thu May 31, 2007 7:54 am

You may want to supplement calcuim lactate 48 hours after birth - this to prevent eclampsia (some will supplement calcuim with cottage cheese, but IMHO that doesn't give you nearly enough calcium for the buck, and seems mostly to cause bowel upset.) You also may want to consider NutriSTAT for extra calories, or Satin Balls. I made up a batch of the satin balls for my girly when she had a large litter - they don't seem to cause any bowel disruption and they really do give a boost. Pups at this age do more sleeping than anything else; you may want to switch off to every 4 hours rotation of half the litter rather than every hour; this will allow you to get some sleep!

(Edit to add Satin Ball recipie)

5 pounds ground meat
5 cups Total whole grain cereal
5 cups oats (slow cooking type)
2½ cups raw wheat germ
¾ cup oil
¾ cup molasses
6 egg yolks
5 packets gelatin
2 ½ tablespoons Solid Gold Seameal supplement

Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.

lowcountrylab

Post by lowcountrylab » Thu May 31, 2007 12:56 pm

Good suggestions. I did get the low sodium chicken broth and the
vet gave me some samples of the puppy replacement milk to give momma. (We are apparenetly VERY good clients :oops: ).

Teresa- I will have to try the Satin Ball recipe. I am sure momma would enjoy the "treat"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 31, 2007 1:12 pm

Ground meat that is uncooked is just as dangerous for your dog as it is for you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu May 31, 2007 1:31 pm

Ezzy..mark this day :D I agree 100+ percent with you

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:29 pm

Tra-la lah

May 31, 2007

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Theresa

To each their own on this one....

Post by Theresa » Thu May 31, 2007 3:13 pm

I have had no problems feeding raw meaty bones, and also raw hamburger - from quality sources. I have had a problem feeding cheap marrow bones from a low quality source (in my case Holiday Plus foods), but I have never had a problem feeding human grade beef rib bones and hamburger raw to my dogs.

I respect others who say DON'T DO IT; I respect your experience and advice even if it differs from my own.

I have also heard of the Satin Balls being prepared with cooked ground beef, but I have always used it raw.

lowcountrylab

Post by lowcountrylab » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:31 am

Oops, did not mean to start a debate. I thought the meat was cooked.

Well, I did give broth with water (licked up every bit) and some of the
puppy formula to momma in some of her food. She did well with it.

I weighed all the pups and everyone is up anywhere from 1-3 oz over day before. Good sign right?

I checked her after the second grouped nursed and she still had milk so I think that is good too.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:37 am

Sounds like they are doing good :D

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:09 am

Agree with Ezzy and K9 about raw meat. sure got me an ear full on another site a year or so ago. I'v never had a litter that large but several day's befor I expected pup's, I'd switch my dog's over to puppy food. By the time the pup's got here , the mother's were on straight puppy food. Don't really know if it hurt or helped or made no difference. Don't remember for sure where the idea came from either.

Puppy food has extra stuff in it to help puppy's grow. I'm not big on home made chow's but then I know a lot of people that use them without trouble.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

lowcountrylab

Post by lowcountrylab » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:53 am

We started the switch to puppy food 3 weeks prior. She is
now fully on puppy food. I believe they do need the extra calories and nutrients in there. Have done that with other females and it does seem
to help them weight wise.