How much does kennel manners matter to you??

birdogg42

How much does kennel manners matter to you??

Post by birdogg42 » Thu May 31, 2007 5:58 pm

My hunting, training buddy and i were discussing this and just wanted to hear everyones opinion on this. I myself cannot stand a non stop barking and messy dog. Thanks

3forme

Post by 3forme » Thu May 31, 2007 6:15 pm

I 2nd that another pet peeve of mine is a breeder of a wersatile that never has the Sire or Dam in the house just kennel dogs. How can anyone breed a dog this day and age when they have no idea if they will settle in the household

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu May 31, 2007 7:24 pm

Kennel manners dont matter to me one bit. Wins and birds in the bag. Dont get me wrong if I had the choice I would love for all dogs to have kennel manners. As for breeders breeding dogs for household manners thats bunk. Nothing wrong with a dog living outside, thats where mine live and where 95% of all thier pups will live. Just depends on what your looking for I guess.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

winchestermodel50

Kennel Manners

Post by winchestermodel50 » Thu May 31, 2007 8:56 pm

The first thing I teach my dogs is go to the box. This stops the most obnoxious confrontations of scooping and kennel duties. It is also a daily control command that can be combined with a command to Whoa or Hold. I hate barking dogs but have had plenty of them and tried a couple bark collars with limited success. The batteries wore out real quickly. The next one will have a charger. Some of my best dogs have had deplorable kennel manners and I could have never controlled them in the field without an e-collar To tell the truth, some of them ran right on the edge of being out of control. To me, a good dog with bad manners is priceless. If I don't particularly like the way a dog hunts and it has bad manners, there is just no gratification there. If you don't get gratification out of your dog, I think you are way better off to find him a new home and try and develop a new one. Some people want pets, some people want bird dogs, some people want perfection but thats a hard pup to pick. I can forgive any talented dog that I can't take my eyes off of.

wannabe

Re: How much does kennel manners matter to you??

Post by wannabe » Thu May 31, 2007 9:18 pm

birdogg42 wrote:My hunting, training buddy and i were discussing this and just wanted to hear everyones opinion on this. I myself cannot stand a non stop barking and messy dog. Thanks
Kennel manners matter a lot to me. If I get a noisy dog, a dog house destroyer, or a *poop* stomper, I let the breeder know, then I either move them down the road, or I bury them.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu May 31, 2007 10:58 pm

There's nothing wrong with wanting a well behaved dog.

Think of it in terms of a student-athlete. You can have great athletes and still instill in them the discipline to make a go of it in the classroom.

Same thing goes for a pup. You can have an exceptional pup and still require that they have good manners in a kennel or around a house. I don't believe that a dog has a finite mind. You can teach them to behave without them "forgetting" how to hunt.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

3forme

Post by 3forme » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:14 am

There is absolutely no reason why a dog can't be calm and controlled in the house and a fireball in the field if we bred for dogs like this we would get dogs for the most part like this. My now 8yr old female DD is very much the ideal dog she is cool/calm/collective in the house,truck,public but when she gets the orange collar dropped on LOOK OUT! On the other hand my now 7 mos old DD is a friggin idiot, yaps in the kennel which I have gotten down to a few yips when he see's me in the yard (took many a beating for) just can't contain himself in the house he has to go and get into things I have had him on a lead inside since I got him if he isn't in his crate, now he has to DOWN in any room I take him, I constantly have to keep on him and he tests me out on everything, if he is going to act this way I will give him nothing he doesn't earn it's the way life has to be with him and IT TOTALLY SUCKS! I enjoy my dogs being inside my 12yr lab and 8 yr DD have always been great but this new guy Uggh, it's a good thing he looks like a million bucks and has talent or I would have shipped him off long ago. I kennel 2 during the day and want them in with me when I get home and manners are a huge plus

3forme

Post by 3forme » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:16 am

I don't believe that a dog has a finite mind. You can teach them to behave without them "forgetting" how to hunt.[/quote]

If a dog can't handle the pressure from training good manners in theh ouse and it negatively affects his field work he ain't worth a salt to begin with

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:31 am

Kennel Manners... if they are barking there'd better be a reason. As for anything else they do in their kennell it is their house and they can do what they want in it.

Mind you I have 5 x 20 kennels too.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:37 am

3forme

You are comparing the actions of a 7 mo. old pup in the house to an 8 and 12 year old. In human years that would be 4 yr old to a 55 and 85 year old. I would guess you are right if your dogs are normal. The pup is an idiot. But with time and training he will more than likely be as good a house dog as the older ones. I think being "idiots" is part of the makeup of young animals. Thats why we have parents and trainers and we try to teach the behavior that we want. I will admit some are more hyper than others but they all normally come around with a little time and work.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

3forme

Post by 3forme » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:53 am

ezzy333 wrote:3forme

You are comparing the actions of a 7 mo. old pup in the house to an 8 and 12 year old. In human years that would be 4 yr old to a 55 and 85 year old. I would guess you are right if your dogs are normal. The pup is an idiot. But with time and training he will more than likely be as good a house dog as the older ones. I think being "idiots" is part of the makeup of young animals. Thats why we have parents and trainers and we try to teach the behavior that we want. I will admit some are more hyper than others but they all normally come around with a little time and work.

Ezzy
I should have phrased it better out of the 15 or so dogs that have come here for training including the dogs that I own now that are older this 7mos old is by FAR the worst I have had to date! Not talking about what my 8 and 12 yr old are like now but when they were youngsters I have never had such a PIA! I got one for ya explain to me how dogs from the same kennel as I have personally seen 2 and spoke with the owner of a 3rd all seperate litters one parent being the same, they eat articles of clothing, don't laugh when I got my pup he hunted for and grabbed any socks he was like a sea gull and he did it so fast you think he had practice, fast forward 2 mos I run into a fellow member of our club who has a now 14 mos old from same kennel his dog EATS SOCKS to this day, 3rd dog same kennel owner says he has some quirks how so I ask? Well he just ate a bath towel and costs us $ 1000.00 now I agree if you aren't watching your dog and he has enough time to gobble down a bath towel then you probably shouldn't own a dog, however I am no newbie to all of this and I hate to admit but I literally had to beat this out of my pup before it became a huge problem or death. I have never seen such behavior, any other pup I have had a couple collar shakes with a growling nooooo does the trick not this guy he took many a lump

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:40 am

I've had a bunch of Pointers over the last 35 yrs or so, and just about all of them were absolutely great house dogs.

I will admit that a couple have been a bit exuberant when first let in, and maybe a little over affectionate (that's right, I said Pointers), but generally settle down in a bit and relax.

Most of them would sleep 21 hours a day if you let them, and I've had very few instances of anything being chewed.

I even (sorry to admit it) forgot one dog in the house one morning before leaving on a two day business trip, and didn't return till the following evening.

He held it for two days (boy was he glad to see me), and destroyed nothing, though did raid the laundry hamper and made a pile of my clothes to lie on. I'll bet he peed for 5 minutes.

But there is an exception to every rule. I have a 7 yr old Pointer that is an absolute pig in the kennel. Any disgusting habit you can think of, he is guilty of in spades, and he takes lots of cleaning up after. I keep his water and food bowls elevated so he can't make deposits. At least he's reasonably quiet.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:56 am

I expect good kennel manners when the dogs are kenneled for several hours. BUT if they never get out or come inside, then I would imagine they'd have a bit of a reason to act out. All mine do well, when they are getting lots of attention, house time, play time, run time. Jed gets lonely quickly because we spoil him since he is SO VERY good in the house, and Charlie will pace if he has not had a chance to run all out for a little while, but these are patterns I set and they are all well behaved unless I break my own pattern...

Barkers - I can not take. Fortunately If they are barking I know there is a reason. Once their was a snake in the kennel, and I checked and found it, BECAUSE they don't bark unless there is a reason. If I heard barking all day long I might have overlooked it.