Quill drinker waterer

GSPaddict

Quill drinker waterer

Post by GSPaddict » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:43 am

Hi, my question is for all bird breeders, what do you think of this waterer?

http://www.quillproductions.co.uk/gamebirds.htm

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:35 am

That is a nipple waterer. They work good. See the little nipples at the bottom of the triangle that the birds are all pecking at? They keep the birds out of the water and the water clean.

GSPaddict

Post by GSPaddict » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:15 pm

I just saw they are 78$ each. Ouch, sounds like a lot to me.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:25 pm

Well, they are also sold in the UK. If you want to pay my ticket over there, I will go pick on up for you. :D

GSPaddict

Post by GSPaddict » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:37 pm

You wouldn't like it, it rains all the time :wink:

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:44 pm

There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

GSPaddict

Post by GSPaddict » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:56 pm

Thanks for the link WildRose, I still don't understand how it works tough. How do you provide the water in the pvc pipe, with hoses connected to a container above the pipe I guess? I would need some sort of element in the container to heat it in winter. I can't find an article that explains how to setup the whole thing, if you know of one it would help me a lot!

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:22 pm

go to uplandbirddog.com, they have a series of articles on johnny houses and there is one on a nipple waterer where water is collected in a bucket on the roof. also, do a search on this forum on the use name gunner and the term johnny house. gunner, bill brink, who unfortunately has not posted here in awhile, has done a number of posts on johnny houses, and I recall one where the problem of heating the water was discussed.

I shut mine down in the winter. But until freeze time, I use the Gillis waterer that can be supplied by garden hose. I have a hydrant out near my kennels and run a hose from that to the jh.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:57 pm

I posted a question about watering a few weeks ago...check it out, I should be getting my nipple waterers in the mail within the next day or so....

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6952

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:09 pm

You can search under "poultry waterer nipple" on the www.farmtek.com site and see all that's needed to put one of these systems together. If you have running water all you need do is connect a 1/4" hose from your water source to the pvc pipe to which all the nipples are screwed. If not anything from a five gallon bucket to a hundred or more gallon tank works just fine. They also have a float valve system which helps to prevent blowouts and floods for just a few dollars.

These are not meant for freezing conditions however, and freezing will screw up the process considerably and damage the pipe and nipples.

However bacterial and parasite growth is not much of a problem at all during feezing conditions either so a regular trough type poultry waterer will suffice pretty well.

If you have more than a few hours freezing temps though each day you will end up having to carry out warm water a couple of times per day to water your birds unless you want to install a heater in your bird house.
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

GSPaddict

Post by GSPaddict » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:07 pm

Really, the hobby wouldn't be the same without all of you. I can't thank you enough for your patience. I hope you realize what a difference you guys make!!