Clipping Flight Wings on Quail

Aggie007

Clipping Flight Wings on Quail

Post by Aggie007 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:51 pm

I found this:
http://www.poultryhelp.com/wingclipping.html

Is this the same for quail? Reason I ask is that I just purchased my first GSP pup who is just 8 wks. and I wanted to let her play with a quail this weekend. Also, should I put something at the end of the beak so it can't peck the pup as well?

I live just outside of Houston, and the only quail I can find to buy aren't in a flight pen so the ones I can buy probably won't fly anyways, I just want the pup to have the opportunity to get birdy.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:18 am

IMHO I think you don't need to clip the wing. Just let the dog find out that birds fly. Put the birds out in a short cut field, then let the pup run and play then whamo! he finds a bird on his own maybe even points and will eventually will point. Do this a few times with a few contacts each time, let him get nutso about birds then use a check cord before he is to old so you have control. When he find the bird while on the check cord don't say whoa, say nothing just work your way up (calmly) the check cord to the dog and just gently stroke him up. (Do not teach whoa around birds) flush the bird out or pick up the pup and move on. Always stop while the pup is excited and interested in the play time. (No heavy bird training at a young age, no negitive correction around birds at this point.

There are quail harnesses or you can just tie the wing down. Pulled primary feathers will grow back in a few weeks. Cut feathers will not until pulled.

Have fun make it fun with some control. :)
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

bondoron

Post by bondoron » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:44 am

If the pup is going to be real close to the bird I would clip it. Not like you are saying but with a harness where the wings are "clipped" so they can't flap. You don't want a bird to scare a pup at this age. Once the pup is use to birds and has more confident you won't have to clip the wings anymore. IMO

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:28 pm

For a pointing problem later on, let the pup catch a quail or any othere bird it should point.

Not a game this pointing stuff, it is expected behavior and it would be a terrible idea to have the dog play with a bird.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:56 pm

Jerry is giving you a wisened caution there. There are A VERY FEW pretty sorry dogs that lack bird drive that NEED to catch a few birds to fire them up.

Those are however RARE amongst GSP's, and I whole heartedly agree that rather than doing your pup some good you are simply asking for problems later. You want your dog to be a pointing dog, not a flushing spaniel so approach it from the perspective that all your early training is about getting the dog to come to you, stay in front of you, and point things that smell interesting. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Aggie007

Post by Aggie007 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:20 am

I found a real good article and I agree, I am not going to let the pup play with the bird, instead I am going to wait a few weeks and start her on an introduction to birds where she won't be able to catch one etc.