Dog trailer ?

nitrex

Dog trailer ?

Post by nitrex » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:26 pm

I have an opportunity to buy a dog trailer from a friend. Niether of us knows how much it is worth, so I am asking for your help!

What is the following dog trailer worth?

White fiberglass 2 hole single axle dog trailer with 8 inch wheels and good rubber. It was made in 1991 by Rolco in either Kentucky or Kansas. Each compartment is entered from the rear of the trailer and will hold 2 medium sized (50-60 pound) dogs for a total of 4 dogs in the trailer. It is in good shape and has 2 metal luggage rack bars on top. It also has a storage compartment in the front with 2 pointer or setters and a few trees molded into the door. Everything works including the lights. No electric brakes, but the trailer is so light it would be pointless to have them. The trailer looks almost new and is very clean and no cracks or damage. I can't even find any places where is has been repaired. I pulled it down the highway at 75mph and it pulls straight and is very smooth.

So what do you think? What would you think is a fair price?

Thanks,

Nitrex

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:04 am

It's kind of hard without seeing it, but it has a lot of negatives to it. Only a two dog. Entry from rear; that's also where all the road dust is sucked it. No water tanks? Torsion Axle? Individual compartment ventilation? To me, it wouldn't be worth over $1000.00, but I'm really not familiar with that trailer. The other problem with glass trailelrs is that most of them are made cheaply and the compartments are hard to clean out. What I mean is that the front of each compartment has a lip on it making it impossible to just wash a kennel right out should a doggie "accident" occur. Obviously, I had one, didn't like it, and wouldn't own another.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:57 am

75 mph on 8 inch wheels!!! With such small wheels, they will be turning extremely fast at those speeds. I don't think the small wheels will give you the ground clearance for some of the two tracks encountered out west.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:05 am

I agree - 8 inch wheels? I have to think that you'd tear through bearings like they're going out of style. Is there enough clearance to swap them out for something bigger?

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:37 am

The trailer will accept up to 12" wheels. Something I would make sure to do. Acutally, these little wheels are rated for higher speeds. Many of the trailers for hauling snow mobiles and jet skis use these smaller wheels. I think the 12" would help. As for vents, there seems to be plenty of good ventalation, and I thought I could add another vent on the sides if I really needed to do so.

Nitrex

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:00 pm

theres a reason all good dog toppers and trailers load from the side and not the back, that thing will suck dust in like a vacumn cleaner.

I would pass on it.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol